Author Topic: FlatCam 8.5 (as of posting)  (Read 2251 times)

beikeland

FlatCam 8.5 (as of posting)
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
Accidentally stumbled across FlatCam when looking at one of the Gerber threads.

Could be of interest for non pcb stuff too. It seems to support .svg imports, and you can decide if you want to do inside, outside or follow lines, you can fill an area. It also supports gerber imports, but I thing .svg would be the most interesting part to most users.

Its has a command line interface and runs on both Windows and Linux, its GUI seems very unpolished, but the CLI part makes it perfect for me. Haven't actually tested the g-code output yet, but it does seem to hold some interesting features. Especially with the possibility to do inside and outside cuts, as well as filled areas.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FlatCam 8.5 (as of posting)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:43 PM »
>and you can decide if you want to do inside, outside or follow lines.

That's also called cutter compensation and be sure your Grbl supports it! From what I've read on the gitHub site regarding this gcode feature, the developer said there wasn't any room at all in the 0.9x Grbl versions to even think about supporting it...so, like I said, be sure what ever Grbl you use supports it...sounds like you might be using a different microprocessor than the Nano?
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

beikeland

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 05:50:56 PM »
That's also called cutter compensation and be sure your Grbl supports it!
If the CAM software does the compensation it doesn't matter what Grbl support. In this case it is the CAM software that handles this. If you look at the attached file there is a blue line that is the original Gerbel data (could just as well be an .svg file). And on the inside there is a red line running the contour, and inside of that there is a hatched infill of horizontal lines.

This is just available in the development version, but its exactly what I'm looking for. And that its possible to run om both linux and windows + scriptable from CLI makes it perfect, just hope the des have time to polish up the interface and usability to gain more traction.

beikeland

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
Still experimenting with settings, laser powers, feed rates, overlaps, but it looks like it should be possible to do photo developed PCBs with these things.

Still a fair bit left to get right, among other things the application of the photosensitive film..