Author Topic: Building an eggbot type laser  (Read 292 times)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Building an eggbot type laser
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 06:07:10 PM »
That's exactly what I was going to suggest, although the active follower is certainly possible.

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:57 AM »
In case I would ever want to do one with a range finder do you think it would be difficult? Not the mechanical part, I think that would be pretty straightforward. The electronics would be difficult for me. I know I have seen an arduino laser range finder shield somewhere but not sure just where. Have never written a sketch but it seems a simple if/then script would be necessary as well.

Stevev

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 07:17:42 AM »
Depends on where you put the range finder code. You could:

1. Modify the embedded GRBL code but the the Z axis would be confused if there is nothing detected.
 2. Change the host application (if you have the source) and add a option/mode control.
 3. Add another Arduino for just the Z-Axis with its own application.

I'm open to almost anything. Especially ideas!!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »
I would design it as a completely separate module, independent of Grbl.

A non-contact proximity sensor, or 2 if you use the cheaper IR (fixed focus) type.

Something like this:
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/jenniferchen/distance-measuring-sensor-900520

Use the feedback to drive the stepper and maintain a position. It should be fast enough in most cases, unless the object has drastic changes in height. In that case you'd want to integrate it which is more complex.

SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »
I did have time to get the laser wired up today and played with it a little. I think maybe now the real work starts. It seems to me the y axis is much too fast and the x axis may be a little slow. On this machine the y axis is the rotation and the x is the laser travel. Also, the aspect is all wrong. I really won't get another chance to play with it until maybe next Wednesday or Thursday. I believe I'm going to have to change some feed rates and other settings but I don't want to affect how T2 works with my other machine. Can I created a profile for one machine and a different profile for a different machine?

Steve

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »
If you are only talking about parameters like feed rate and power, yes they can be stored in a profile.

The steps and other parameters are saved on the Nano, so you can setup each machine independently.