Author Topic: ESP32  (Read 398 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ESP32
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »
Is it working yet? Attached is my current schematic for an esp32  NodeMCU-32S to Nano board.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »
No I was bench testing the software first and hit a snag.
Mine was only working in AP mode and refusing to connect to my router, so browser to it with my phone (android) and all working, I put index.html gz on Dropbox for my phone to find and it is not visible on the phone, guessing it hides index.html files.
So used WiFi on my Macbook instead and repeated above, file uploaded OK I think, progress bar stayed up but was at 100%.
Since then only get a blank screen when I open the page, tried reprogramming the chip and still only a blank page. I can see devices connecting fine on the serial monitor but after a while it starts watchdogging. Might try erasing it first as well.
Threw my hands in the air at that point for the moment,
Would be happier if I could just get the thing on my network. Connects fine on other sketches.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 04:33:24 PM »
Are you on the ESP32 grbl forum? They seem to be responsive but the delay is about 24 hours. Don't known if posts have to go thru a moderator.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »
No, didn't know there was one. I saw your issue on github and figured that was the main forum, will have a look later.
I am not in any sort of hurry to get it up and going, not even sure what I want it for at the moment, I have a good solution up and running for my plasma cutter.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
I'm in a similar position. Not really needing it. Just sounds good. Got any picture of the plasma cutter in operation or finished projects?

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 12:24:53 AM »
I haven't used it on steel yet, still to make a solid base for it, bought some 40x20 steel to do so a few months back but not got around to welding it up yet.
Main thing is wondering where the he** I am going to put it, I think I want to hang it on the wall when not in use, its quite large and unwieldy.
So it is still sitting on my pool table in the state of the thingiverse project at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2993546
Depending on how level I can get the base I suspect I will need a live Z axis, currently its screw adjustable and my least favourite part of the build, a few cable ties should brace it up for the short term to see how well it cuts etc.

I had a look for the grbl esp32 forums and could not find them, any links handy ?

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:58 AM »
ESP32 slack https://buildlog.slack.com

I sent out a board design with a ESP32 NodeMCU-32S and Nano headers to oshpark.com for fabrication. It is double sided with the logic level trace on the top and power trace and regulators on the bottom. Suspect someone will a little homebrew PCB equipment could make one. Perhaps glue and wire the bottom. Attached is a zip of the gerbers.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 01:53:53 PM »
Boards arrived. One error easily fixed with a jumper wire. Failure to fully read & understand the chip I/O pin restrictions. Very easy code port.  Just added my I/O pins to the cpu_map.h file. Great job by Bart Dring to make this available. The project is on github.

Have it hooked up to 15W diode and did a couple of test burns. Works just like the Nano. Just isn't tight on memory.

The radio is enabled but I have not idea how to use it.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 04:54:34 PM »
Good one, I am currently engaged with a)work and b)upgrading my 3d printer to maybe more extruders and  c)finally dug some crap of my pool table and might get back to the plasma cutter.

Hopefully my parents are enjoying the jigsaw puzzle on a board that was covering it..

By "radio" are you talking Bluetooth or WiFi?
If Bluetooth you probably need to connect it up as a serial port, if WiFi there are lots of ways to do it and it depends how they set it up, not looked yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 07:15:46 PM »
I have no idea on the radios. What I want is a virtual serial port with a lot of data buffering on data from the host to the etcher and very little data buffering from the etcher back to the host.  The ESP32 group is leaning towards storing the entire gcode file on a local SD card which sound like the safe method except how is the emergency STOP implemented. 

Stonemull

• View Profile
ESP32
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 08:13:48 AM »
Grbl has a queue but some commands like jogging and I would assume stops are acted upon immediately.
Not looked at how is done code wise off sd card, I run off sd card on my plasma cutter but I installed a mill/laser version of marlin on that  I expect is much the same, it knows gcode data is coming from sd but it also listening on a serial port for immediate commands as well as monitoring ports for things like end stops, safety covers or jog buttons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:14:46 AM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver