Author Topic: laser venting  (Read 38 times)

Merlin

• View Profile
laser venting
« on: September 11, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
Hello Hello, I found my way back. I was a very sick man for a couple months at the beginning of the year and when I went to post I could not find the site, I tried every day for weeks but no joy, and low and behold the other day I found you's again.
Any way I knackered my small laser (don't know how but it don't work) so I got another one a bit bigger 2.5w.
But have read somewhere that I may need to vent the fumes, as my unit is a bit far from a window or out side wall (I'm in the lounge) can I vent to under the floor.
I'm in NZ so we have a 2 to 2/2 foot crawl space under the floor and it wood be easy to drill a hole in the floor and drop a vacuum size pipe down.
Thoughts please and it's good to be back.

Merlin...
Laser: A5 500mw with Mana SE -- using T2Laser
Tevo Tarantular 3D Printer

"Try not!Do!
or do not!
There is no Try!"
The Empire Strikes Back

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: laser venting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
Welcome back!!! It has been very quite around here. Either the quality (hardware & software)  has gone up or the interest in diode lasers is fading. Very few posts about interesting projects.

I use a 4 inch (100mm) exhaust fan with flexible aluminum duct to vent the "bad" fumes. My fixture sits against an outside wall in the basement so it was quite easy to install. As I kind of like the smell of burning wood it often sits idle while etching.

SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

bob2299

• View Profile
Re: laser venting
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:11 AM »

I am in an apartment.  I have my unit (2.5 watt) set up on a table ajacent to my window.  When in use, I use a medium size home fan with about a 10" blade set in front of my window which is open about 10" and is blowing air from the room to outside.  Air moves from Laser unit to fan to outside a distance of about 30" from laser to outside.

No smell of burning wood in the room so I believe it is doing the job.
-EleksMaker A3 2.5 W Laser with Mana SE board & air assist
-Inkscape, Qcad, BCL, &  T2
-Ender 3 3D printer
-I live in London, Ontario, Canada and my interests are inlay/marquetry & 3D printing