Author Topic: Another pile of Junk  (Read 246 times)

Roger

• View Profile
Another pile of Junk
« on: August 02, 2020, 02:52:23 AM »
Bought a cheap made in China laser from Banggood had all the usual quirks that others had with it. Absolutely refuses to work with BebBox, so tried T2 well all seemed well it found the com port ok but low and behold wham trial finished. So what to do next.
Now my biggest problem is if I push the low power button the laser will come on and I can burn a small dot on the board and thats it nothing else works except that the stepper motors seem to have a brake on. Can anyone help me with this problem or do I have to trash it to the junk pile. I knew after I bought it I should of paid more for a better one. you would think being 73 I would of learnt by now.
TIA Roger

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Another pile of Junk
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 04:20:18 AM »
You just need to start T2Laser again, make sure you get the Grbl Ready (or perhaps Benbox Ready) message indicating the machine is connected and then you should be able to move the motors using the arrow icons and turn the laser on and off with the manual controls. Do not move the axis manually (by hand) as you'll damage the drivers.

Do you have a link to the machine you purchased, or a picture of the machine and the controller card. I doubt it's a pile of junk, most are perfectly good laser engravers for the money once you have them setup correctly.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 05:46:57 AM »
Sorry Zac just my frustrations taken over. I have taken a couple of photos but don't know how to add them on here or maybe I could email them too you.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
You should be able to click the + attachments button below the message and attach images, or you can email them to me support at t2laser.org.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »
These are truly simple machines. We are the same age and I etch 3 or 4 images every week on home made machines. I am much more primitive than Zax when checking functionality.  I start with a terminal emulator and issue straight GCODE. Only need to learn about 6 commands to control the motors and laser. Easy reading GRBL can be found via Google.

Is there a "Makerspace" near you?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »
I do not know what a makerspace is. I will try and attach photos here. Well looks like I have done it hope they are good enough for you to see.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 02:36:41 PM »
Looks like a pretty standard Chinese clone, is it a 3-wire laser (difficult to tell from the picture).

You should be able to load my Grbl 1.1e DEFAULT firmware and use T2Laser.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:40:56 PM »
Thanks Zac will give it a try and see how it goes. Then maybe if it does will give it a better name than piece of Junk.  I will purchase T2 if it works.
Cheers Roger.
I am in Melbourne Australia we are in a lock down at the moment with very severe restrictions, are you based in the US they are getting the virus real bad.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:43:15 PM by Roger »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
Makerspace is a loose collection of people who share a common workshop. In England I think they are called "He Sheds" or "She Sheds". In the US we typically pay a monthly fee of about $25 and it gets you access to tools that you might not have at home such as Lathes and Milling Machines. Recently they have added 3D printers and laser cutters. They often hold classes and conduct group projects or contests. Good place to meet people who have artisan skills. I moved from an area that had a few to an area which has none. Nearest is over and hours drive.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
Hi ggallnt571 thanks for that here in Australia we have Mens Shed and I never thought of that. Once we get ahead of this virus thing I will look into that but at the moment they are all closed. I am starting to get the hang of the laser am using trial version of T2 and today I hope to have a go at my first engraving, keeping fingers crossed.
Cheers Roger :) :) ;)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »
I got into laser etching 100% by accident. Bought a 5.5W diode laser to cut clear plexiglas. Lies, lies, and more lies. I think Zax set me straight to the advertising hoax. Saved picture of my dog on computer tried etching on scrap wood. Lots of users supplied guidance and tips. 100's of etching later I am still a beginner relative to technique.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 10:02:30 PM »
Hi Guys I followed the video "What Happens Next" still could not manually jog the X or Y steppers and the test for laser didn't work  either any ideas would be appreciated. Is there any way to test the stepper motors?
Cheers
Roger

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 06:15:21 AM »
Are you getting the Grbl Ready message?

That indicates your laser controller is responding, without that nothing will work. If not, check you have the driver installed correctly.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »
Good Morning Zac
Yes I get the GRBL ready message, will check and re install driver before I send this message. Well just checked everything for the 100th time and it now all works haven't engraved anything yet but looks promising. Many Many thanks for your patience Zac and a thank you to ggallant571. Looks like I will have to buy T2 now. Will try and send money after breakfast.
Once again thank you all guess there will be more questions as I progress.
Roger :) :D :-*

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
Glad you got it working, if you need any help just let us know or you can email me for a faster response.