Author Topic: Suggested T2 settings?  (Read 7663 times)

Rob F

• View Profile
Suggested T2 settings?
« on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »
Hello everyone,

Could someone provide, or suggest, settings in T2 that seem to work for them?  I'm after settings (laser min/max power, feed rate etc) that create high quality engravings for each of the different engraving types in T2 - black and white, dither and grayscale.  I've been chasing settings around for the last hour or so and decided to see what everyone is using.

Any suggestions?

Rob
If I stare at it long enough, I'm hoping it will fix itself.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Suggested T2 settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »
Laser min / max should be 0 and 255, so white in an image is laser off and black in an image is laser full on. If you use greyscale mode anything in the image between those values will be scaled accordingly. In black and white or dithered you only get on/off.

Feed rate will depend on the material, maybe start around 500-800 for wood and reduce if you want it darker or increase if it's burning too much.

I prefer diagonal engraving, it reduces the screen door effect and on wood it produces more consistent results (grains is less of a factor).

Resolution is the big factor, it will drastically affect the speed and of course the quality. Slower = better quality, this is one major improvement over Benbox where it has one mode, great quality but takes forever!

- Zax

RuralAccent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:43:37 AM »
Hey Zax. Is it possible to set pulse below 10? I used (I think!) to set the equivalent in BenBox on 3 and that produced the most fine result. Seems to only allow 10 as the minimum?
Scottish Maker
GearBest A5 2W Diode Laser Engraver

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 05:06:38 AM »
Hey Zax. Is it possible to set pulse below 10? I used (I think!) to set the equivalent in BenBox on 3 and that produced the most fine result. Seems to only allow 10 as the minimum?

The pulse setting in T2Laser is only used when you manually "pulse" the laser, it's the on time. So 10 is 10ms, about the shortest duration that makes any sense.

In Benbox the "time" value has no effect in continuous (scanning) mode but causes a delay at each point in discrete mode. It has no effect on resolution.

- Zax

RuralAccent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
Sorry. Think I'm tying myself in knots! Thanks for the input :)
Scottish Maker

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:26:13 AM »
I spent most of the day yesterday playing with various setting and have a 6 page document split into two files as a result.

Attached is the shaded box file I used for the runs and also

Data FILE 1 of 2
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit
Software: T2Laser with J-Tech Photonics 0.9g Grbl

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:26:53 AM »
Data FILE 2 of 2
Equipment:  Gearbest 2500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine  -  2500MW  SILVER 167912906 Air-cooling Weak Light Automatic Positioning DIY Kit

RuralAccent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:08:35 AM »
Data FILE 2 of 2

Many thanks. Really useful. I've been meaning to do something like this.
Scottish Maker

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
Nice results on some of those later ones, the 200 acceleration seems to be helping.

What happens when you say "hang-ups"?

Does it stop sending, give an error or keep sending but the machine stops doing anything?

If you save the G-Code and use UGS to send it do you get the same issue?

- Zax

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
Hang up in that it freezes with the laser on and burns a hole in one spot, so I hit stop then resend and it works fine then sometimes, but as you can see on a couple there were multiple hangups on some so that is how many restarts were required to complete the run.

I didn't try to save and use in UGS yet, was solely focused on T2.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
I wonder if that is caused by the parameters or if there's a timing issue with your hardware I don't see on mine.

- Zax

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »
I don't know, maybe part was the resolution or could be something like Computer memory. 

I do know when I tried to get high resolution, it would not go at all (eg... burn 27).

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
It could be memory related (high resolution on low memory PC's), I am aware of a few issues in the released version which I have fixed in my beta version.

- Zax

IIA

• If you can dream it, you can LASER it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »
Thanx for the great comparison files!
Some very special and unsuspected results there.. will, have a look in the folowing days as there are some non logical results produced there (was this done on the same wood for all, cause I see -i think- more grain pattern in the second batch)
I see you have a parameter acceleration: where do you give it in? Or is this also something you only can give in in the registered version of T2?
"If you can dream it, you can LASER it"
Proud owner of completely DIY drawer slide CNC laser engraver (20x35cm) with homing
For engraving: 1.3W 405nm purple (pinpoint) + 0.5W 660nm red pinpoint (great for filling grayscale)
For cutting: 3W 445nm blue
NEW: Elek Laser A3 from BG with 2.5W laserhead

caperry88

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 03:36:25 AM »
Some very special and unsuspected results there.. will, have a look in the folowing days as there are some non logical results produced there (was this done on the same wood for all, cause I see -i think- more grain pattern in the second batch)

I will say that yes it did produce some results I didn't expect, but it did help fine tune my machine and my understanding of what does what.  I figured I had my acceleration not set properly and also didn't have all of Zax T2Laser setting set.  It was an eye opening experience getting in and messing around with it.

[/quote]
I see you have a parameter acceleration: where do you give it in? Or is this also something you only can give in in the registered version of T2?
[/quote]

Acceleration is a setting that you will have to go in and manually set using a gcode send such as Universal Gcode sender, if using j-tech it is under $120 and $121, so you will have to set it to what you want, I think 100 is what I ended up using after the tests.