Author Topic: GBR files  (Read 2025 times)

Kunaphil

• View Profile
GBR files
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the T2 Software can support GBR files? Or, can these be converted? ::)

thanks,

Phil
Just got my home switches installed!👍

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: GBR files
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
I've never heard of GBR files, which probably tells you that T2Laser doesn't support them.

Let me do some research and see if they're easily supported. It depends if the format is open source or documented, many require expensive licenses or libraries that excludes them.

Edit: OK, Gerber files... now I know what they are and it appears the standard may be published which means I can write an importer if others are interested, otherwise a converter may be available.

Edit2: So there are 3 versions, the Standard (1st version) is very similar to PLT so I could add that fairly easily, the Extended (2nd version) is slightly more complex and the latest revision X2 even more so. Which version would you be interested in?

Latest spec: https://www.ucamco.com/files/downloads/file/81/the_gerber_file_format_specification.pdf

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:06:29 AM »
Zax,  I am not sure.  I have some Gerber files that are fairly old, and most of the software now days can't convert them. 

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »
I am quite confused. Gerber file are used for PCB artwork. GRBL files are slang for a particular invocation of a G-CODE interpreter. Is your intention to etch PCB boards or cut solder templates?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:41:17 AM »
Perhaps the easiest way is for you to post a couple of examples, then I can see if it is something I will support.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:31:28 AM »
here is one.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 10:51:43 AM »
These look like the original format which is now deprecated. I think your best bet is to convert them to DXF, let me see if I can import them.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
Any luck with importing the files?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
I was able to view them but couldn't save as DXF, can you save as PDF from the program you use to generate them? If not, does it have any other options for save.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 07:16:33 AM »
Zax,
Unfortunately I don't have the program that these were generated on.  They were given to me and the originator is deceased.  I will try to convert them and see what happens.  Thank you for your help.

Phil

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
I was able to load both layers using ViewPlot software, unfortunately the trial only allows viewing and not export. The license is over $600 so not cheap.

I did find another program that is free, it converts to EPS but then you need to convert that to DXF. Perhaps you can find a viewer which will save PDF and then import those to T2Laser.

It is something I could add if there's more interest but considering it is an old format I don't think it will be popular.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »
Zax,
I do know that this format is pretty much dead, but I know that there are a lot of files out there on the  web and some people that are interested in purchasing a laser to be able to make printed circuit boards.  I will look around to find a program that I can convert these.  By the way, I see that you have upgraded the t2 laser software again.  can you tell what improvements have been made or are they just bug fixes? 
thanks again,

Phil

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Zax, can you tell me what the free program is?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »
It was called GBR2EPS (I think), I did not try it.

In the Updates thread I try to post what changes are made to each version, the latest 1.3k is mainly bug fixes.

If there isn't a simple converter available and enough people want the format I could support it, but it seems like the easier method is to save as DXF or PDF and load it to T2Laser.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 06:55:44 AM »
Gallant,
Yes, it is my intension to etch circuit boards. Sorry for the confusion.