Author Topic: GBR files  (Read 1565 times)

beikeland

• View Profile
Re: GBR files
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »
Gallant,
Yes, it is my intension to etch circuit boards. Sorry for the confusion.

How do you plan to achieve the laser etching? These laser diodes are not powerful enough to remove the copper, and if you want to use photosensitive PCBs you could use pcb2gcode and its isolation routing feature to activate the photosensitve film (make sure you get positive photoresist as the area exposed to the laser will become soluble and removed with the developer, allowing the etchant to remove the copper that pcb2gcode intended to be milled away)

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
(Or find a way to invert it and use the more readily available negative film. I only seem to be able find somewhat expensive positive pcb's complete with film applied)

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
You could check out flatcam, seems they have some interest in combining lasers and gerber

http://flatcam.org/download

http://flatcam.org/discussion#!/usage:laser-drawing-with-uv
http://flatcam.org/discussion#!/developers:flatcam-as-a-regular-plot

Other options include Gerbv  to convert to .png (and either raster it from there, or use Inkscape to convert .png to .svg). Although it looked like flatcam might be able to go straight from gerber to .svg.

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »
Are there any more votes to add this import to T2Laser?

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 11:02:10 AM »
yes, I could use it for etching PCBs as well.

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
OK... Agastar has spoken, so I will see what I can do.

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »
Apart form the windows only part I'd use a PCB function; I did look at the gerber in this thread and they are using the obsolete RS-274D format, and looking at your rendering is apparent that they are also incomplete without aperture files. So you would need aperture files or definitions for RS-274D. Support for RS-274X or 2X you could look to the flatcam source for inspiration.  Let me know if you do implement it, I could help test KiCam output.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »
Will you support both the obsolete 274D and the current 274X formats.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
I was only planning to support the 274D format (yes, the obsolete... don't use it, forget it was ever made one) and although several programs I tried didn't load them because of the missing aperture file I think it's possible to workaround that as the one software I used seemed to display it OK. Of course I am not familiar with what it should look like but we will see when I convert it to G-code.

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
the one software I used seemed to display it OK

Not quite, seemed to me the filled area was vertical and horizontal hatched with quite a wide gap, and all traces had the same width - which is possible, but unlikely. The aperture file would essentially contain information of the line width used to stroke the different paths.

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
That may be true, and now I start looking at their format this really isn't suitable for vector engraving, it's basically a filled vector and as you say, without the aperture file it's going to be a "guess".

I think it may be better suited to saving as a PNG or something and raster engraving.

What I really need are several complete files and an image showing what it should look like so I can make an informed decision on how best to support it, or if it even makes sense.

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
I noticed gerbv said it detected RS-274D and decided to try to load it, but failed to render it as the aperture definitions were missing.

Does Kunaphil have aperture files for these boards?

Given the need for filled sections I would think rastering would be a good approach anyway. Although I will be looking at a way to do the outlines as vectors and filling in with rastering aftewards, in an attempt to get the best possible edge definition. Having a zigzagged edge would be the theoretical equivalent of antennas every 0.1mm, probably more of a theoretical problem for most designs, but still, no reason not to aim for perfection.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
All,
I am sorry.  I didn't include the .apt file.
Here it is.

thanks,
Phil

beikeland

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
That looks to be working rather well, but have you given any though on the negative/positive photoresist as it would greatly affect the rest of the process.

Edit: Rendering is screenshot from GC Prevue, should be able to print to .pdf and raster the image from there
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:37:29 PM by beikeland »

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 01:38:32 PM »
beikeland,

the method I have been using is painting the copper board with black paint and burning it off with the laser.  then I use the etching solution to remove the exposed copper.  I have done this in the past with more simple boards and has worked well.