Author Topic: COM PORT problem  (Read 435 times)

ianobre

• View Profile
COM PORT problem
« on: September 12, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
Hi all, im newbie in this universe. Forgive me if i say something idiot.

Im build my laser engraver kit from Bangood. My module is 2500mw, everything is ok on mechanical assembly, but i have problems with my small pc of my garage lab.

The com port are not displayed on port list from BenBox.If im use my macbook with wmware and windows emulation works fine, but i need to use in my Windows Machine. My unique windows machine.

Any ideia that what is my problem?  :-[

Ismael

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: COM PORT problem
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:24:42 PM »
I have seen others with the same issue, but not sure of the solution. It looks like COM driver is installed correctly, so it must be a problem with Benbox.

You can try T2Laser but since you can't get Benbox to work you won't be able to use their firmware, so only option is to convert to Grbl and move the jumper (see the conversion doc in my signature below). It's a trial but will work for testing your machine.

ianobre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »
Thank you for this fast reply.

To test de machine is ok, in VMWare with my macbook pro, works fine, the problem is windows. Everything is fine with firmware because with the BenCutLaser i can turn on the laser. But, for newsbies, the benbox is so much better.  :-\

I have experience with 3D Graber an Delta, with laser engraver is my first test.  ::)

I have seen others with the same issue, but not sure of the solution. It looks like COM driver is installed correctly, so it must be a problem with Benbox.

You can try T2Laser but since you can't get Benbox to work you won't be able to use their firmware, so only option is to convert to Grbl and move the jumper (see the conversion doc in my signature below). It's a trial but will work for testing your machine.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 06:55:12 PM »
I normally use Linux but tonight my grandson was here and he has a graphics arts school project to etch a picture via hand carving tools. For laughs I fired up a Windows laptop, installed the demo version of T2 Laser, and imported a small png image, & connected to the laser machine. Instant success except my 5.5W laser burned all the way thru the soft 2mm balsa wood. Fiddled a bit and with the power set at about 4 percent it worked perfect. Minimal effort on my part. Thanks Zax.

*** It is possible that I used this machine last year for an Arduino project that used the same USB chip and the drivers were already installed.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Kimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
Hi ianobre

I sometimes have the same problem with the same machine.
I'm running windows 10 64bit and I find that if I start the program as administrator it has always shown the com ports.
I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but it has worked for me every time I do it that way.

Hope this helps

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
Windows 10 is usually the ver that has com port issues. I had the problem where they were not being saved in the Registry where they should be, thus my software could not find any com ports.

But the following applies to Win7 as well.

The steps to solve could be different for each person who has a "com port" issue.

I recently modified BenCutLaser to be more automatic in sniffing out the com ports. I'm only saying this as a trouble shooting step: down load and install BenCutLaser and when you have it started up, unplug and then insert your USB cable that is attached to your laser machine.

Then look at any COM Port drop down list inside BCL. If its empty then this verifies your Registry entries are not being populated. You'll have to google that and see which solutions will work for you to restore your com ports. This is squarely a Windows issue.

This is as far as you can go using BCL. Don't attempt to connect or use it beyond looking at the com port drop down list to see what it shows. There are other steps that you must take before you can use BCL and that is not what this thread is about. You're using BCL solely to help you trouble shoot com port problems and that's all.

It's rare to experience these kinds of problems on Win7 or WinXP but it does happen.

If you see any com port(s) listed in the drop down then windows is populating the registry OK and you have another issue. Now we can say its the software program you are using (Benbox).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:34:39 PM by Administrator »

ianobre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 06:52:32 AM »
Hi ianobre

I sometimes have the same problem with the same machine.
I'm running windows 10 64bit and I find that if I start the program as administrator it has always shown the com ports.
I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but it has worked for me every time I do it that way.

Hope this helps

I tried this before and dont work  :-\

Mantraguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:31:58 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution for this?

ianobre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:28:58 AM »
Unfortunately i did not resolve this problem. I have sold my computer and buy another ::) (is a old all-in-one computer ZOTAC ZBOX ND02 )

So, this resolve my case  :P

Sorry

Zax

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:57:22 AM »
Remove the drivers (uninstall from device manager), disconnect the Nano, install the correct drivers and then plug it back in.