Author Topic: Acrylic plates  (Read 3730 times)

neilferrer

• View Profile
Acrylic plates
« on: November 15, 2016, 07:30:46 AM »
Anyone have a drawing / model of the acrylic pieces for the 17cm x 22cm laser from Banggood?

http://m.banggood.com/2_5W-Desktop-DIY-Violet-Laser-Engraver-Engraving-Machine-Picture-CNC-Printer-Assembling-Kits-p-1001413.html

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:39:30 AM by neilferrer »

beikeland

Re: Acrylic plates
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »
I'm leaning towards putting them on a scanner when I disassemble the machine again shortly to replace the nylon wheels, I'll post the pictures so you can use them to overlay drawings on when/if I get a chance.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »
 :o reverse engineering the Chinese design they most likely copied from someone else... now that's an unexpected turn.

beikeland

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »
I think my motivation would be more like engineering some new parts to actually fit :P

And even if not actuated I need a Z-axis instead of adjusting the focus ring as the latter moves the dot, rendering homing useless. So I'll probably mill a dovetail slide and replace the plate that holds the laser (which would also make it easier to swap lasers or whatever later:)

neilferrer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:17:13 PM »
I, too, am looking to make modifications. Specifically, I'm going to add a servo controlled pen attachment. And it would be great to have swappable toolheads.  I started modeling the plates, but I have a few other unfinished projects that need my attention. I'll post files as I create them.

beikeland

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
Seems my 12V power supply for my scanner is MIA, so doubt I'll get that done any time soon.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »
If anyone can get them scanned, I would love to have a  copy of them.

thanks,

Phil
Just got my home switches installed!👍

beikeland

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:40:35 AM »
I guess I should have guessed that scanning transparent acryllic wouldn't be a huge success, but here are the three parts I didn't have glued down..

Hopefully I'll have time to turn them into Fusion models one day

Edit: there is an extra M12 tapped hole on my y-carriage and the tape one some of the edges is just alu. tape to give my inductive sensors something to, sense.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:41:59 AM by beikeland »

beikeland

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
Aw! Figured I'd try to run some whiteboard markers along the edges and do a new scan to improve edge definition - but couldn't find my markers. And then Fusion 360 crapped out. #Monday.

But if anyone else gives scanning a go, please try something like whiteboard markers etc to improve edges?

neilferrer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »
I don't know how you guys go from those scans to a quality drawing or model, but I've modeled the parts using my trusty calipers.  I don't know why there are all of the extra holes or the parts are shaped the way they are, so I just made a suitable baseline to build from.  The parts have all been manufactured and work just like the originals. This is minus the laser mount as I am looking to use swappable heads.  They are a work in progress, but I can share if anyone would like.  I was going to post drawings, but Fusion 360 is not my usual CAD program so I will have to wait until I have more time.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 05:29:08 PM »
Please post in a format you are comfortable with.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

beikeland

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 05:33:13 PM »
No need to do it in Fusion. if you share the outline as a .dxf from your favorite CAD I'm sure those who are interested can easily work with that.

But to answer how I would have done it. Most CAD software has the option to use a background image of some sort. So I would import the scan, and use it as a background, then start drawing my outline and holes according to the scan. To finish it up I would go around the the drawing adding constrains and dimensions to lock it down, only using the scan as a visual aid.

Not sure if that made sense

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 05:46:37 PM »
I would have done it in openScad which is numerical based. Just make rough sketch, measure, and replace the estimates with real numbers. BTW, I do everything a**-backwards from the real world, so please post a good solution!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

beikeland

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 06:00:26 PM »
Thats the same basic workflow I'd use, except I's use the scan as a background image when drawing the rough sketch.

After that Fusion does parametric modeling, so you could assign variables like hole sizes, or even spacing to be a multiple of 20/20 profiles etc so it would be super easy to adapt it to say M6 bolts and a 3x1 instead of 2x1 profile. With the correct constraints placed on the model it would resize on its own to fit the new dimensions. Not sure what happened to my Fusion, its a software glitch after an upgrade preventing me from starting it. Hopefully I will figure it out soon and post an example of what I mean.

neilferrer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
i already did it in Fusion...DXFs coming as soon as I get back to my PC.  There are really only a couple of "essential" dimensions, and the rest is open for whatever.  I currently have X & Y running great with no acrylic except the "belt tensioners" which I plan to address.