Author Topic: Tracing  (Read 1463 times)

dreamaker

• Harrison Township, Michigan
    • View Profile
Tracing
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:31:17 PM »
I was doing some small plates using laser-able aluminum, so I downloaded a couple pieces of B/W clip art.  So I had to resize it larger to fit the plate, well when I put it into the trace mode it will not select all the lines I pick, no matter how much I tried. Now if I take it back to the smaller original size, then it will select.  Another thing, let say the image actual size is 40mm X 20 mm, when I am in T2 and select the image and go to resizing it will show something like 2.4mm X 1.6mm, I don't understand why. I tried restarting the program and even restarted the computer, but the results is the same showing the smaller size, and after I resize it, in trace I can't select all the edges.

Thank You

Dan

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Tracing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:54:08 PM »
Dan, when you say the image is 40 x 20 mm - where are you getting that from?

Images do not have real world dimensions, they have pixels. If you are saving it at a size then you must select the DPI you will use on the laser otherwise it is meaningless.

Say you want to engrave it at 0.1 resolution, that's 10 pixels or dots per mm or 254 dots per inch (DPI).

When tracing, make the screen as large as possible and if necessary turn off auto-zoom so it's 100% and you can select the point with more accuracy. You need to select within 20 pixels as that is the search area before it detects contrast and begins tracing.

Please post an example of you image so I can check it and help you.

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:53:06 PM »
My res. was set at .05, I do that to smooth out the edges so it don't look jagged. Here are two I had issue, the Ram I could get all edges except the right side of the head/scull and the Chevy bowtie I could get all except the edge of the bowtie itself. 

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »
I had no issues with either image, using manual or auto trace.

If you are importing at 0.05 then the images will be tiny, so you need to set the output size before you trace.

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
I forgot to mention, that in my T2 in resize it  shows something like 2.6mm, I take it up to 35mm on the ram, and that is when I have the issue on my system. I am assuming what I have been doing is manual tracing, I am not aware of the auto trace. Wow I just checked, and found the auto trace every thing worked good, I don't know why I didn't see that. I guess I am good for now.

Thank You

Dan

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:07:55 PM »
The benefit of manual trace is you can select individual outlines, for example a contour cut out. It also works better when you don't want both sides, double lines.

I tested up to 100mm and had no issues, not sure what's different no your system but glad you got it figured out for now.

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:43:37 AM »
Kind of interesting, when I do auto trace it works fine, when in manual,  I enlarge the image small parts are easily selected, larger parts are harder and some can't be selected.  Something I noticed, correct me if I am wrong, when manually selecting, the point you selected, is where the laser will start its burn, so I try and keep the points in close proximity. I replaced the old laptop with a new squeaky clean one, that is dedicated to just laser, T2 and BCL.  The only time it goes online is for updates. So the issue must be me!!  I'll figure it out, I always do, maybe not always the most sophisticated way but it gets results.

Thank You for your help

Dan

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 05:57:28 AM »
I'm not sure why you are having a problem selecting lines, I haven't experienced this. You can click either the black or white areas, it just searches out like a radar until it finds a contrast change. I limit the search pattern so it doesn't select something unexpected. If you are close to the edge perhaps you aren't clicking on a valid pixel to start the search.

Yes, the point you click, or more precisely the first contrast point it detects will be the start point and then it traces around the shape.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
Do you have a youtube account.  If you do a  short video showing your problem might help us help you. 

P.S. when you get this sorted could you post a picture of your results.  I've been dying to see how well our lasers work on laser able aluminum.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

dreamaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
Due to the bad lighting, these pictures don't do it any justice. They are shiny black with kind of a bright gold etching and look more alive in good light.

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 03:45:15 PM »
Nice! guess I know what I'll be ordering soon.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 02:11:04 PM »
Thats sweet, where can you get that laserable AL at?