Author Topic: IIIP Maker Select  (Read 1513 times)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
IIIP Maker Select
« on: November 30, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »
I asked for advice on which printer to buy, for a complete newbie.

Thanks to Pawpawpaw85 and others I decided to purchase the Monoprice Maker Select v2. It's a rebranded Wanhao Duplicator i3 which is itself a Prusa Mendel i3 clone (pretty typical machine).

It came with a customized Cura 15.04, a very good manual and getting started guide, both printed and on an SD-card.

My first impressions were it's a very professional look and feel out of the box, full metal frame and solid drive gear / electronics. Assembly was practically nothing, 4 screws to get the machine together and a couple of motor / limit plugs to connect. It probably took 5 minutes, and then leveling was a breeze and within 30 minutes I was printing one of their sample files.

It adhered to their "special" bed mat (not sure what it's called) perfectly and the print was excellent, I was blown away by the quality considering I had no idea what I was doing.

If anyone wants a cheap and very novice friendly machine then I would also suggest this product. I'm currently printing some "upgrade" parts that were recommended.

kibodwin

• View Profile
Re: IIIP Maker Select
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:03 AM »
Hi Zax,
I take it this printer is only available in the US?
=)
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:05:10 AM »
uh oh.  Here come T3 the 3d printer software.  and if T3 comes, so does skynet!
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
The Monoprice version is probably US only, but the Wanhao should be available anywhere.

T3... don't give me ideas  ::)

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »
Looks like a nice printer, you will love it once you get it dialed in and used to it.
Have patience though, it may take time to get the feel of what each filament wants as far as settings.
But once you have it dialed in, its easier than the laser engravers, I can basically fire mine up and print now.
Make sure your bed is level, and that your first layer starts really well.

If you want to design your own parts, Sketchup and Autodesk A360 are nice, A360 is a bit harder to use with more learning curve, but its what I have decided to use.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
It appears to be setup great from the factory, an idiot proof machine!

I did level per the instructions, that was simple and the bed appears good all the way across. No issues with the first layer so far. It's actually printing one of those little robots at the moment, just to test the spool holder I printed yesterday  ;D.

I've done several prints including one that was the height of my Z-axis and all have been perfect using their defaults. Even the low quality (fast) mode came out better than I expected, I just select the material / quality and hit print.

Of course I've only used PLA so far, but have some NinjaFlex to try once I feel comfortable with the 3D design side.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 02:47:34 PM »
I will have to get one to verify the "Idiot Proof" claim!!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.