Author Topic: System to secure material in same location every time  (Read 196 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
System to secure material in same location every time
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
This modification I made to my work area came from George Gallant @ggallant571 so I want to give him credit for the great idea!

I'm posting this information here because I read every now and then someone asking how to re-position their material down in the same spot. This answers that question so I'm going to make it a sticky.

I switched over to using magnets to hold down my material (usually 3mm wood panels) and installed two layers of heavy gauge steel mesh in place of my aluminum honeycomb sheet I was using previously. To get the same height as the honeycomb, I ended up having to use two steel mesh plates.

I used wood glue and glued a strip of wood 1/2 inch square x 12 inches long, vertically along my X axis and the same horizontally along the Y axis.

These two 'sticks' form an L with the corner of the L in my lower left work area, which is the 0,0 coordinate point.

I can now slide a piece of 3mm wood into this corner and hold it down nicely with some magnets. Because my laser frame is secured to my workbench and doesn't move, I can laser on a panel of wood and then remove it for any reason, and re-install it right back into that L corner, snugly and put down my magnets again and start to laser on the material again in the same location.

It's a very nice setup and now I can remove my piece to check and see if a cut made it all the way through and return the piece right back to the same position. Or you can do some laser cuts and remove the material and come back later on and do some engraving on it, knowing the piece is in the exact same location as before.

MarcusJ

• View Profile
Re: System to secure material in same location every time
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:17:51 PM »
That mesh looks like good stuff, where did you source it Ralph?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
Re: System to secure material in same location every time
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
I can't recall now...my main PC just crashed so I'm on one of my other PCs with a different browser history.

You should be able to googlge for steel mesh screens.