Author Topic: Need help figuring out my new laser.  (Read 2690 times)

Uglulyx

• View Profile
Re: Need help figuring out my new laser.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
I just checked the scorpion image at the same size and resolution, T2Laser estimated 1 minute 38 seconds but if you select 0.1 resolution it is 7 minutes 21 seconds. I would expect LW3 to be similar although I've never used it.

What feed rate is that running at?

Also I see a lot of praise for T2. I checked out your videos on YouTube and it looks like it might be good for me since you can scale the image directly in the program.

Just curious. What are the limitations of the trial and how much is the full version?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »
I was doing some testing for another user and had reset to defaults, so the feed rate was 1000 and rapid 2000. That is probably a little too fast for engraving with a 2000mW laser, I usually run 600-800 which would have an effect on time.

The trial is functional but limits to 10,000 lines engraving and 1,000 lines cutting and you can't save the generated G-code.

I have several licensing options, the most common and cheapest is $39.95 for a single PC non-transferable license. This includes updates for 1 year and additional licenses can be purchased at 50% off. I also offer licensed Nano's and a USB-Key "dongle" option for $79.95 (exc. hardware and shipping costs which vary depending on option and country).

T2Laser allows you to scale images and vector files, create simple Sketches and overlay on images. It also has tracing features to convert images to vector which for artwork (like the scorpion) would make it significantly faster as you could just engrave the outline.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »
So how large of a piece would I be able to get out of 10,000 lines of engraving?

By non-transferable you mean, totally right? Like I wouldn't be able to move it to another machine if I needed to?

Also what do you by licenced Nano's, the Arduino itself?

Either way I'll take a look at it later and do some more test burns.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »
It will depend on the resolution and composition of the image, more grey scale changes will create more lines but a simple b/w clipart would not. I just tested a 3" square b/w image and it was 7k lines as an example.

I use the standard Microsoft hardware ID license, so you can replace minor components but not the CPU, motherboard etc. If you do, the hardware ID changes and you would need to purchase the upgrade/2nd license but get an additional year of upgrades.

Yes, if you have a genuine Nano (or one that uses the original chipset) it can be licensed. These are available for $6-8.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 04:32:42 PM »
Ok I should be able to give the trial enough use to see if the full version would work well for me then.

I'm 99% certain my board is just a clone nano. But if I had a genuine one I could get a licence for it that acts as a key?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 04:36:16 PM »
Yes, the license would be tied to the laser so any computer connected can run the full version. When disconnected it reverts to the trial (silently) and then all the features come back when you connect.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
Hmm. I guess that answers all my questions. I'll tinkering with T2 and the settings tomorrow and give you an update.

Also still wondering what you think about storage temperature for the machine. The shop usually gets pretty cold in the winter, but never below 0C. Usually it's around 6-10C when I get there.

I'm planning on building a storage crate for it (since I can't find a tupperware crate big enough) with that fancy cut-out foam. Mainly to keep the machine away from the dust. If the cold temperatures would be bad for the machine I'll just make the crate more suitable for travel so I can take with me each time.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »
It should be fine as long as you don't get condensation.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
Yeah I'd have to throw one of those oversize desiccants in there.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »
Just ordered a key for T2. I did a test burn with it I like the results.

Is there any settings I have to input to accommodate the limitations of machine?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
What limitations, and did you use my firmware?

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »
limitations as in size? if so then yes. always make sure your size output is within the capabilities of your machine.  its the button the the top far right which looks like several sheets of diffrent sized paper.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 05:53:57 AM »
What limitations, and did you use my firmware?

I still have GRBL installed. Should I install your firmware? I'm have to reenter a could of my settings (Mainly steps/mm)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 06:47:26 AM »
I only asked because I wasn't sure what settings / parameters were compiled in the version your using, the Grbl 1.1c and 1.1e that are included with T2Laser use my default parameters. It should work with your machine without any changes, but also if the current firmware is working OK there's no need to change it.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 06:57:41 AM »
Ok. I just wasn't sure if I had to doing anything to account for machine size or beam size.

Hopefully the weather is nice enough today that I can take it out to the shop and do some real burning. I'll let you know how it turns out.