Author Topic: Need help figuring out my new laser.  (Read 1374 times)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Need help figuring out my new laser.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 07:24:01 AM »
@Uglulyx, if you stay with the firmware Agastar posted I would suggest you restore the default reporting $10=1, but it isn't required as T2Laser is smart enough to interpret any of the available GUI responses.

@Agastar, did you make any mods to the firmware or was it straight from the master code?

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 11:12:48 AM »
no need to do anything special for beam or size or rail size other than to select your resolution and output size but that will change from project to project anyway.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 02:58:30 PM »
Well got it out the shop this afternoon.

Sadly, by the time I made my carrying box I only had time to one burn.

https://imgur.com/a/Jmee3

There's a couple issues with it still.

-As you can see it's darker in the spots with shorter runs, and at the edges. The laser starts at the far edge of the piece but it takes some time for the motor to get up to speed. Is there some kind of setting I should change so it's starting it's acceleration further away so it's up to speed when it's time for the laser to start? (If that makes any sense)

-I'm also wondering if you have tips about positioning your work piece. Say if I'm doing a very small piece, or a finished piece of wood (So the image much be in the right spot on the first try) I need to know that I can place the image exactly where I need it to be.

-In trying the position my piece I noticed that my weak laser wasn't working. I'm not sure if has something to do with T2L or the hardware. I tried disconnecting the laser and the weak laser would pulse once or twice. This also makes it impossible to focus...

-T2L's pulse laser doesn't seem to work?

-T2L estimated 11 minutes and some seconds but the actually time was 35 minutes. Is one of my GRBL settings messing that up?

I think next time I have the laser out I'll flash on your firmware. (You have it bundled in T2L right? Or do I need internet access to flash it from T2L) If I have to put in any settings changes is there a way to enter the parameters in T2L?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »
If you use my firmware those issues will go away and the calculation is pretty accurate.

1.1e also have dynamic laser control which adjusts laser power for different speeds so it compensates for the acceleration but with my values it isn't really needed.

No you don't need internet connection, the firmware hex files are all installed in the T2Laser folder.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
How does it compensate the laser power for acceleration? The module that comes with the banggood laser doesn't have scale-able power does it?

Any ideas about the weak light laser? Or is that something that would be fixed with your firmware?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
It works the same way regular LED drivers or dimmers work, by quickly switching on and off (PWM).

If the constant current driver in the module can switch quick enough it will still work, but if it has a capacitor or other slow start circuit then it will effectively eliminate the switching and probably not work. Obviously a true TTL laser module is going to work the best.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
Hey hey! Getting some real results now.

https://imgur.com/a/zmyOW

Installed the T2L GRBL hex (0.9 custom) No issues with deceleration burning.

The T2 time estimates are still a little off but much closer. Really the only reason this matters to me is so I can tell if I'll have time to run a burn before I have to start cleaning up to go home.

I noticed one this that's definitely going to be an issue though. My weak light laser is non-functional, which makes it basically impossible to focus the laser. I managed to focus it by using T2's pulse laser for 200ms, then tweak the focus, pulse, tweak, pulse, tweak, Until I had it focused.

Is there a better way to focus this? I could use T2's PWM power setting? That's not hard on the lifespan of the laser is it? But then I guess I'd have to come up with a way to adjust the focus ring while keeping my fingers safely away.

Another small issue, that I can kind of work on over time. The machine isn't drawing straight in the X-axis. At first I thought it was because my stock could have been mildly convex, making the line appear curved. But I checked and it was dead flat.

Maybe the cable is dragging causing the laser head to move a little?

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2016, 04:38:44 PM »
First thing to verify is the current limits on the stepper motor drivers. If they re insufficient you may experience missing steps.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »
Does you machine work with the 1.1e firmware? That's what I would recommend as it supports real time overrides and dynamic laser power. I really like the overrides.

If you use 0.9g and my parameters the times are almost perfect, can't comment on 0.9j as that was a custom version that doesn't work with my system to test. 1.1c/e will be quicker than the estimate by a small margin (5% or less), you don't use the default parameter upload as it's already compiled with the preferred values.

I used the pulse feature to focus with a non-TTL laser as you mentioned but with the TTL laser you can use a very low power (<5) and it's really easy to tune.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 06:11:18 PM »
I'm not sure. I think that what I had on before loading your firmware. T2L has 1.1c, has it been updated recently?

So would the laser module that come with the banggood units be a TTL or non-TTL?

Maybe I should make another separate post about focusing the laser?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
It's had 1.1e for the last couple of version, but in v1.3s it's the default.

The default laser is non-TTL, but that doesn't mean you can't get good grey scale results.

Uglulyx

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 04:32:12 AM »
Ok. But since it's not TTL I can't use the power setting, it has to be 255 or 0 right?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2016, 04:39:55 AM »
Not necessarily. The PWM function cycles the laser on/off at high speed (~ one thousand times a second) and the "power" value determines how long it is on vs off during that cycle. This is how most LED / laser diode drivers work, so it isn't bad for the laser diode (actually it's a good thing as it helps reduce heat).

The constant current driver inside the laser module may prevent this high speed switching from being successful, in which case the response won't be linear or it will be in steps. In this case the best option for grey scale is dithered or velocity mode which both use on and off values (the laser min/max values set in T2Laser).