Author Topic: Upgrade laser and TTL  (Read 531 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Upgrade laser and TTL
« on: December 22, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »
I just received a 3.5W laser and TTL unit from Banggood(see below) to replace the 2.5W module I currently have on my T5. The main reason for the upgrade it to better control the laser, the current range of control is 220 to 255 which gives me a black burn to a deep black burn and that is after I converted the jumper and am using T2. Rather than destroy my current laser to upgrade the TTL , I saw this split system and thought it would be a easy upgrade and give me better control, hopefully. The power supply that came with the laser is a 12V 5A power supply and I don't know if this will support this larger laser. I was thinking about adding a separate PS to drive the new 12V laser unit and drive  the TTL from my L2 control board. I originally purchased the laser to engrave names in wood product I build and it works good for that. The problem came to a head when I saw what others were doin with theirs and tried to copy them will little luck. There are 2 open connectors on the new TTL, one is the 12V input and the other is the TTL signal input, I think. Any information that anyone has would be helpful.

http://www.banggood.com/450nm-3500mW-3_5W-Blue-Laser-Module-With-TTL-Modulation-for-DIY-Laser-Cutter-Engraver-p-1103261.html

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade laser and TTL
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
I have a 5.5W laser powered by the 12V 5A supply. It "should" provide 60W. I suspect these numbers are Chinese specs that need to be derated by 50% for normal operation.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Ken, take a look at the first link on this thread.

http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1262.msg15518.html#msg15518

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
Zax,  I just finished testing the burn control on the new 3.5W /TTL laser I installed. I was very impressive by my test results when I could not get a burn below 215 on my old laser and TTL. I set the speed at 1000 and did a short line and went down from 255 to 80 and might of gotten a line at 70 but ran out of board. This was well worth the $76.00 I paid on special and will now spend more time engraving photo's as well as names. As an added feature the laser projects a targeting/focusing beam at low power when 1st turned on and comes on again after the burn is completed.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »
That's good to hear, I think a TTL laser and home switches are the 2 "must have" upgrades.

Well, after T2Laser of course  ;D

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:50 AM »
Ken, I am still having difficulties with my identical kit.
You say yours comes on briefly with low power; is this when you connect? Mine comes on at full power when I manage to get connection.

Mike

2.5W BangGood laser kit in use by my daughter for craft work.
3.5W BangGood with TTL board in use by me as a developemt tool only.
T2Laser and Benbox software.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 01:35:48 PM »
Mine comes on at full power for a brief period and lowers to a limited power which I use to center what I will be engraving and focusing the beam. When the job is over the laser stays on  at a weak power for period, I have not timed it but I would guess 3 to 5 min. After the 1st power-up the laser does not com on until the job is started. I am still trying to get the exact setting for a picture I am trying to engrave, but have not be able to get it the way I want yet. The power-on beam at full power and will burn wood, the ending beam is weak and has not burned the wood. Hope this helps, but nothing is easy on these machines.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »
What firmware?

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
What firmware?

Grbl 1.1e with PWM and T2Laser is what I am using.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
Really odd about the 3-5 minute delay. I wonder if the power MOSFET is getting locked on. Happened to me with a L6 board. Usually it then just overheated and melted trace on controller. Smoke was visual clue to shut power off.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »
The MOSFET should be out of the loop, direct PWM signal from the Nano.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
If the I/O became an input it would float. Might stay High for a long time. Suspect a weak pull down on that line would be a nice feature.

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 12:05:01 AM »
With mine the unwanted high power laser pulse is not when power is applied but from when Connect is initiated until the Grbl ready message appears. The laser does not come on at all at the end of the job.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »
Not to make things more confusing I just turned mine on and the power-up did not turn the laser on, the light on the TTL board came on so I know there was power but no beam. When I transfer the control to the laser page the beam came on full power for 2 to 3 seconds then went out. I pulled the power lead and soldered it yesterday because I had an intermittent power loss at the TTL board when the head moved back and forth. I did not change anything other then soldered the poorly crimped terminal. I am printing a long photo so I will have to wait to see if the laser goes off at the end.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
If using the onboard power MOSFET:

It is my opinion, and this is not my field of expertise, that driving the power MOSFET with a AVR I/O is a marginal event. The spec sheet calls for 4.5V to turn on. Measured a number of cheap ($3.00US) Nano clones and most barely made 4.5V for a high. One was 4.2V. Contacted the MOSFET tech support and they said the circuit design was insufficient to reliably turn the device either fully ON or OFF. When operating in the partially ON state it will generate heat and everything will deteriorate further. This is the behavior is that I had been experiencing.

Can you measure the voltage at the Nano D11 & MOSFET gate when idle and running?
Can you measure the temperature.

If using an external TTL board:

Where did you attach the control wire?
Can you measure the PWM signal while burning?