Author Topic: Congrats Ralph  (Read 3254 times)

BritVic

• View Profile
Congrats Ralph
« on: April 27, 2016, 03:04:34 AM »
What an excellent idea, well done Ralph
Now, whilst I am here, does anyone have a Z axis slide going spare, for a few beer tokens?
Vic.

n1te

• View Profile
Re: Congrats Ralph
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
Hello, you mean the aluminium sticks?
I have ordered 15 meters 40x20 and 20x20 to expand some machines, tell me if I can help.

n1te

BritVic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:13:30 PM »
Thank you Sir, but no my request was actually a bit tongue in cheek for something like this ......
http://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-Z-AXIS-for-ARDUINO-projects-or-small-router-pr/
Thanks again
Vic

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
This may work: http://www.banggood.com/DIY-Laser-Engraving-Machine-Sliding-Table-Slipway-DVD-ROM-Drive-Parts-p-964615.html

These are the same slides they use on the NEJE laser engravers, due to the screw drive mechanism it actually has a fair amount of torque for the size.

- Zax

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I bet you could cut some 3mm ply  mounting plates and drop a DVD slide with stepper in with the laser mounted to that and boom easy short range ( 4cm ) Z-axis. Could easily help focus the laser or allow you to cut a little thicker material.

Now we just need to know what controller board would be a drop in replacement
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 04:56:09 PM »
http://www.banggood.com/3-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-Laser-board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraver-p-1015947.html

It's the Eleks Maker L3 (3-axis) version, similar to the 2-axis except it add another motor driver and limit switch inputs.

Only $22.99 from the US warehouse.

- Zax

BritVic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:20 PM »
This may work: http://www.banggood.com/DIY-Laser-Engraving-Machine-Sliding-Table-Slipway-DVD-ROM-Drive-Parts-p-964615.html

These are the same slides they use on the NEJE laser engravers, due to the screw drive mechanism it actually has a fair amount of torque for the size.

- Zax

@ Zax

I have kinda experimented with such a tiny stepper + lead screw set-up, although very little torque is required, the problem is, the slide has to be absolutely free of slop, so is going to be subject to friction, or a pretty incredible arrangement of bearings. The  friction overcomes the available torque in my experience, so for me it has to be the full man-size stepper motor, and a reasonable effort at reducing friction.
Having said that, it would probably handle just the laser unit, thus giving programmable focus!
Thanks again Zax
Vic.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:16:36 AM »
Those DVD assemblies have almost no slop as they are high precision for reading the DVD tracks, of course with weight added they may wear quickly.

Cheap and pre-made, I would give it a go. Add a small lightweight dremel tool and try it out, or banggood sell a really nice high speed precision router head (very low run out so would be much better).

- Zax

BritVic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »
Those DVD assemblies have almost no slop as they are high precision for reading the DVD tracks, of course with weight added they may wear quickly.

Cheap and pre-made, I would give it a go. Add a small lightweight dremel tool and try it out, or banggood sell a really nice high speed precision router head (very low run out so would be much better).

- Zax

Re _ "banggood sell a really nice high speed precision router head"

I cant find that :(

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »
Search for "spindle", they have the motor alone for $11 and it goes up from there.

http://www.banggood.com/300W-Air-cooled-Motorized-Spindle-Motor-with-Clamp-and-Power-Supply-Speed-Governor-p-989202.html

- Zax

BritVic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 10:57:05 AM »
Thank you Zax, that certainly looks the business, but doesn't solve the slide issue.
Thanks anyway
Vic.