Author Topic: Simple thick frame and filled text...not so simple!  (Read 503 times)

Elmojo

• View Profile
Simple thick frame and filled text...not so simple!
« on: December 23, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »
I've been playing around with T2 for a bit now, and really haven't made much progress.
I've yet to get what I'd call a successful cut or engraving, but I'm sure it's just that I'm not doing it right...

My current project is trying to engrave a simple border and single letter monogram on some slate coasters for my parents.
I saw someone do something similar on here a while back and thought it would be a nice present for their anniversary.
Anyway, I've drawn up the design in Corel, but no matter what format I output to T2, I don't get anything usable.
I know DXF is best, so I started there. That only exported thin lines (it dropped the lineweights, which is expected after some thought) and didn't export the text at all, even with the option to export text as curves selected.
I went back and added contour lines in Corel instead of the think border lines, in hopes that the multiple lines would export and look like a thick line when cut. They did export that time, but for some reason everything (especially circles) looks really "wavy" for lack of a better term, and T2 doesn't see the whole image, just the top right corner, even when zoomed in/out. Maybe Corel isn't exporting correctly, but it's not giving any errors.
I tried exporting as a jpeg, which of course looks perfect, but if I engrave it as raster it looks choppy (even at 0.1mm res) and takes forever.
If I try to use the Sketch or Auto Sketch tools in T2, I get nasty wavy output (in the preview) and no fills on the text.
I'm really at a loss here. I thought this would be a simple project to help me learn the ropes of engraving, but I've hit a wall.
Anyone got any advice as to where to go from here?
I've attached the original Corel file and the exported jpeg and dxf files, if that's of any help.
Thanks!
-Mike

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Simple thick frame and filled text...not so simple!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »
Have you tried any of the test patterns such as the square, circle, & circles. I use Linux and can open your jpg & dfx files for viewing. What size slate are you planning on using?
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 03:51:24 AM »
Wow, that's an ugly mess. It's not T2Laser though, it's equally as ugly in Inkscape and TurboCAD.

I actually like Corel for drawings, but I use the PLT export as it can automatically provide hatch fills as attached.

You should be able to use DXF from Corel too, unfortunately the version I purchased doesn't have DXF export. They listed it in the formats but I later found out there was some small print that said it had been removed, what a joke... anyway so I need to get a different version. I'm sure someone has it and can tell you the "tricks" to get a good quality DXF out. The only "entities" that T2Laser does not support are text, so that needs to be converted to curves first, which is better anyway as otherwise it will load as a generic font and not look the same as you had.

Elmojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »
@ggallant: I haven't tried the test patterns, but what would those tell me? I'm using 4x4 slate coasters.
@Zax: I like Corel also. I have a full version of CorelDRAW X5 that I use for one of my other jobs. It has DXF output, but obviously isn't working right, as you see. I reviewed the PLT conversion doc you attached, which was very helpful. I was able, with much tinkering, to get something that looks pretty good! I think maybe PLT is going to be my format of choice for the moment, at least for non-raster stuff like this job.
I need to look into the correct way to conver text to curves in Corel before the conversion to DXF, in case I need to use that feature in the future, since letting it do it automatically doesn't work at all.
Thanks for the tips, this gets me at least on the right track!