Author Topic: Photo Mode and Velocity Mode. What do they do?  (Read 456 times)

Uglulyx

• View Profile
Photo Mode and Velocity Mode. What do they do?
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
Just noticed those two options today and I was wondering what they actually do.

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: Photo Mode and Velocity Mode. What do they do?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:12:31 PM »
velocity mode uses full power and varies the speed to produce the varied effects of grayscale (ie black is slowest and light grey is fastest)  This can produce a greyscale effect. 

I havent use photo mode yet.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 03:39:28 AM »
Photo mode is my original algorithm that uses bit shifting or anti aliasing to improve the rendering of photos, you should not need to select it manually as T2Laser analyses the job and uses it when necessary.

The new algorithm produces crisper lines and edges for logos and text, and is slightly faster.

I only added a switch back to the old method in case my auto detect had issues and people wanted to force the old algorithm, but 99% of the time the new one is going to provide the best results.

Velocity mode is different, it's another way to generate grey scale by using speed as the variable rather than laser power. So for darker burns it goes slower and for light areas it speeds up. To work well you need to have a good "range" of speeds, so set the low speed to something like 200 and the high speed (rapid) to 2000. It also requires your machine to support high acceleration so basically if your machine is well tuned and has low friction it will work well.

Elmojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »
I've been wanting to try out velocity mode.
Where are the speed range settings you mentioned? I can't seem to find it.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 05:33:57 PM »
It will vary between the rapid feed (right click the running man icon) and the standard feed (left click the icon).

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »
Photo mode is my original algorithm that uses bit shifting or anti aliasing to improve the rendering of photos, you should not need to select it manually as T2Laser analyses the job and uses it when necessary.

The new algorithm produces crisper lines and edges for logos and text, and is slightly faster.

I only added a switch back to the old method in case my auto detect had issues and people wanted to force the old algorithm, but 99% of the time the new one is going to provide the best results.

Velocity mode is different, it's another way to generate grey scale by using speed as the variable rather than laser power. So for darker burns it goes slower and for light areas it speeds up. To work well you need to have a good "range" of speeds, so set the low speed to something like 200 and the high speed (rapid) to 2000. It also requires your machine to support high acceleration so basically if your machine is well tuned and has low friction it will work well.

Zax, how do you tell if your machine supports high acceleration?
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board
Software: T2L
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 05:11:26 AM »
All machines when correctly setup will support my default settings, they aren't that aggressive.

The default is 800 mm/sec^2, my machine will run at 1200 and probably higher without losing steps but if the belts or axis aren't well adjusted you may have problems. Setting them to 200 is an easy way to tell.

So you would send these 2 commands using the manual command box:
$120=200
$121=200