Author Topic: Sanwu 5.5W Blue Violet Laser Module - TTL/PWM  (Read 2965 times)

JohnE

• View Profile
Sanwu 5.5W Blue Violet Laser Module - TTL/PWM
« on: January 03, 2017, 04:48:13 PM »
This is slightly related to the other thread regarding a 12v laser module and PWM (http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1183.0.html), but I figured I'd start my own.

I just purchased a 5.5W laser and am trying to figure out compatibility with TTL. I bought mine from Banggood, but the module appears to be made by Sanwu per the name on the ESD bag and the silkscreen on the underside of the driver board. Banggood says nothing about TTL on their site (and I have not heard back from their customer service about it, so they might not even know), but Sanwu's website specifically calls it a "TTL PWM Laser module..." But, just like Banggood, they have zero documentation on their site. I've contacted Sanwu for some guidance.

Here is the laser module from Sanwu: https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/engravemodules
And the listing on Banggood: http://www.banggood.com/445nm-5_5W-5500mW-Blue-Laser-Module-With-Heatsink-For-DIY-Laser-Cutter-Engraver-p-999283.html

For the sake of full disclosure, the one minor difference I noted was that Sanwu sells up to a 5W module on their site while the one I have is *supposed* to be 5.5W... FWIW

Has anyone gone down this road before that might be able to shed some light? I'm open to trying a different driver if that's ultimately the best approach.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:49:55 PM by JohnE »

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Sanwu 5.5W Blue Violet Laser Module - TTL/PWM
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 06:11:36 PM »
I don't see any issue with that module, it has a TTL input for the PWM signal. If I remember from your other post you don't have the standard Banggood machine so I'm not sure what controller you have.

It should be easy to hookup if it's Arduino based, and you have firmware that supports it.

JohnE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Zax. You are right, I don't have a Banggood machine. I have a Shapeoko 3 XXL from Carbide 3D which is an oversized desktop CNC router. The Shapeoko has a custom controller board, but it's Grbl at its heart, and has a spindle output that I can use for PWM. Anyway, I mainly wound up here because this forum seems to house the most comprehensive collective wisdom on these Chinese laser modules. I still have not heard back from Banggood or Sanwu about any kind of documentation. I saw the TTL port on the PCB, but I was just hoping for evidence one way or the other that it was connected to anything. Silkscreened text on the PCB doesn't mean they tied it in on this particular board rev.  :D

I guess I'll have a shot passing it a PWM signal with one of the Arduinos I have lying around before I go hooking it up to my controller. Better safe than sorry.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 04:40:48 AM »
The hardware side is easy, connect your spindle pin (assuming it is a PWM output) to the TTL input.

If the firmware already supports S values for spindle speed then it should work.

Agastar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
They useually say in the listing if it supports PWM or not. That doesn't mean it doesn't for sure but that's what I've seen so far.

If you find out different please let us know.

Pow3r

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:54 AM »
Sorry to thread jack, I've also bought a 5.5w sanwu 445 nm laser, complete with 12v driver, plan to signal TTL (and PWM if possible) from my grbl Arduino spindle signal.

The driver has a two position (non momentary) switch, and the same TTL input hole as described in the posts above. I asked the EBay seller. Who didn't know anything about it being TTL/PWM
I asked sanwu whether it needed 5v or ground on this TTL pin, and whether it was standard TTL, or inverted (high or low to trigger), they replied but just described the driver power needed.
Can anyone confirm whether these drivers support TTL, and the signal needed?