Author Topic: Sperrholz ( hobby plywood )  (Read 1052 times)

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
Sperrholz ( hobby plywood )
« on: May 01, 2016, 01:09:47 AM »
This stuff is cheap. Like 2 for 5 A5 sheets. I bought it at OBI which is a bit like a Home Depot stateside.

I ran it through T2 laser made 10 passes at full power but ran it fast as I didn't want to scorch the wood. So maybe 600 or 700 for speed. This is a 2.5 watt laser for reference.

Very clean cut and almost no Kerf. It's cheap wood and not very strong but it cuts very well. 

I will try and post pictures later as I am having a hard time doing so from my iPhone ( files are too large )

2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: Sperrholz ( hobby plywood )
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:42:24 AM »
Watch cheap ply, as the glues they use are different to that used for  proper LASER PLY.

Cheap and water-resistant, these urea formaldehyde glues are used in  plywood, particle board and similar composite wood products.

The cheap ply glues may well cause harm to the laser lens.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:20:30 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

QuietMike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »
what wood/s would you recommend to buy? mdf?

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
Buy proper Laser ply    It is available on EBAY. in the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H1.Xlaser+ply.TRS0&_nkw=laser+plywood&_sacat=0

............................and if you live elsewhere then Google it or look in Yellow Pages and ask a reputable timber importer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:17:24 PM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT