Author Topic: LOL Doll  (Read 346 times)

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
LOL Doll
« on: February 25, 2019, 06:11:59 AM »
Attached is an image of a simple jigsaw made from 1/8 inch(3mm) basswood.

The idea of etching a pattern onto a puzzle came from finding a 9 piece blank wooden kit at Hobby Lob and the need to supply a gift for a little girl. LOL Doll was not part of my vocabulary.

Found a number of line art drawings intended for kids coloring. Selected 5, scaled to size, removed the clutter and did multiple test etchings. Assembled the puzzle, applied pre-stain, stain, and etched. Three hours later it was done. Remember the pre-stain!!! It apparently works by soaking deep into the wood. The soft wood had expanded and frozen the interlocking tiles together. Wood fractured while trying to detach the tiles. The wood was very poor quality to start with.

Recently found a new source for wood and they have 8 x 24 x 1/8 inch panels. Resized the puzzle to fit 3 in one panel (194 x 194mm) and tried again. Same stain plus 2 coats shellac. Etch came out slightly lighter than desired. The tiles were cutout with multiple passes at a relative high speed. The cut lines are great!! Smooth with very little char and the fit is better than expected. Suspect the pre-stain & stain soaked thru. Down side was it took 18 passes to cut.

This was done on a 2.5W core-xy machine so speeds are estimates and took about 4 hours total. Etching speed was about 1200mm/min, cutting speed 600.

I need to make another one for my granddaughter. Want make it into more but smaller tiles. Perhaps there is a jigsaw to vector generator out there.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: LOL Doll
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 06:35:04 AM »
There's probably one available for Inkscape, but here's an example from EasyCutStudio.