Author Topic: New gantry via Openbuilds  (Read 325 times)

mauriceman

• View Profile
New gantry via Openbuilds
« on: January 08, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »
I built a new gantry out of Openbuilds extrusion. It's basically three 500mm V-Slot Linear Actuators jacked up on some 20X40 extrusion. Except for some Lexan and hardware it's stock Openbuilds. I robbed the motors, pulleys and cabling from my Banggood engraver. I wasn't sure if I would need to crank up the stepper current or increase their size but works fine with no adjustment. It will do 8"X10" no problem. Very tight. I did some 10pt text at 2000 mm/min with 5 multi-passes and looks great.
This stuff ain't really cheap but there's no comparison to the stock Chinese frame. No wiggle, wobble or twisting of the gantry. It was worth the investment.

The entire gantry is mounted to a 3/4" MDF board via Hurricane nuts on the bottom. I placed more of these fasteners in various locations to aid in holding stuff down.

Still have to redo the wiring to the laser and install venting in my basement. Kitchen lasering doesn't make for a happy spouse.

Here's an old internet meme that seems appropriate. 
Retired Industrial Electrician, PLC
Banggood 17X25 2W TTL

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: New gantry via Openbuilds
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
very nice!!! did you by chance keep a running parts total for a rebuild cost?  I think something like this could be in my future.  I love the extra clearance for pass through work. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

mauriceman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
Sorry, no running total. I spent about $310 at Openbuilds for the 3 V-Slot Linear kits and 2 additional pieces of 20X40 extrusion, a handful of screws, nuts and a large gantry plate. I had some leftover lexan from earlier mods (ebay). I looked over a lot of "builds" using Openbuilds stuff and just tried to be as simple as possible. Since this is a non-contact "CNC" it doesn't have to be built like a tank. The brain fun was reviewing all my options and figuring how to build it. Sorry no 3D cad files unless you can do a Vulcan mind-meld on me.
Banggood 17X25 2W TTL

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 02:07:38 PM »
I very much like it.  their kits allow for an easy z axis add on too. definitely gonna look into this when the finances allow. Add a ttl like you have there and I'll be all set. 
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

mauriceman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »
I understand about cash flow. I had to wait for my C.F.O. (aka wife) to approve this expenditure. I will say this, retirement is the best job I ever had. :)
Banggood 17X25 2W TTL