Author Topic: Powder coated aluminium enclosure? Etch able with Banggood 2500mW?  (Read 3780 times)

Bigwan

• View Profile
Hope this is in the right place! I'm really interested in the banggood 2500mW uv etcher, but I was wondering if anyone here had ever etched any powder coated aluminium with one of these machines? Is it possible with UV?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Maybe...someone here has etched aluminum bottle openers...give it a try and let us know your results...
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.6m.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

jlauzon

• View Profile
I did find a couple of "gotchas" when I tested the coated (anodized?) aluminum bottle openers.

Some colors did not etch at all.

Polished Silver: so reflective no heat from laser absorbed?
Dark Blue: no idea why; blue laser on blue paint won't absorb the laser's heat?

These colors did etch beautifully @ power 255 on 5.5W (but I did a test at a power of 100 and it worked just as well):

Black
Red
Orange
Green

Bigwan

• View Profile
I'd noticed people here had managed anodised aluminium etching, but it's specifically powder coating etching I'm interested in. I'd like to etch artwork and lettering into off the shelf Hammond brand powder coated enclosures such as the 1590 series: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg_SBVer.htm for guitar effects boxes.

May have to suck it and see!

jlauzon

• View Profile
Scary to try something like that. Someone asked me if I could engrave their MacBook. he**. No.

ROSS

• View Profile
'Cos if you screw up you pay!!
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Bigwan

• View Profile
Scary to try something like that. Someone asked me if I could engrave their MacBook. he**. No.

'Cos if you screw up you pay!!

Not sure I understand... Sure you might screw up an enclosure or 2 proving out that it works (or not), but they're not stupid expensive.

You realise I'm building these effects myself, not playing with somebody's prize possession, right?

jlauzon

• View Profile
Yeah, but I guess my point is that it unnerves me to engrave anything "good". There's no eraser. If it's for business, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Bigwan

• View Profile
Yeah, but I guess my point is that it unnerves me to engrave anything "good". There's no eraser. If it's for business, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Considering the accepted etching norm in boutique pedal land is transferring laser printer toner onto a bare aluminium enclosure as a chemical resist and etching the exposed areas in a ferric chloride solution I think this is a nice,  quick,  clean alternative if it works!

jlauzon

• View Profile
Considering the accepted etching norm in boutique pedal land is transferring laser printer toner onto a bare aluminium enclosure as a chemical resist and etching the exposed areas in a ferric chloride solution I think this is a nice,  quick,  clean alternative if it works!

Yike, I need to toughen up.  :)

carolynsdad

• View Profile
Not answering the OPs questions but it might be helpful to know that I did this test piece on metallic foil coated laminate with 2.5W laser.
2.5W BangGood laser kit in use by my daughter for craft work.
3.5W BangGood with TTL board in use by me as a developemt tool only.
T2Laser and Benbox software.

jlauzon

• View Profile
I'd noticed people here had managed anodised aluminium etching, but it's specifically powder coating etching I'm interested in. I'd like to etch artwork and lettering into off the shelf Hammond brand powder coated enclosures such as the 1590 series: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg_SBVer.htm for guitar effects boxes.

May have to suck it and see!

I can't be certain, but from that link, the finish does look similar to the openers I played around with. Pic attached.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
@Bigwan, your profile doesn't say where you are but if you want to send me a lid from one of those boxes I would be glad to test it for you, or perhaps there's someone close to you that would work with you to check it out?

- Zax

ROSS

• View Profile

You realise I'm building these effects myself, not playing with somebody's prize possession, right?

The post was a reply  to JLauzons.....lighten up!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:01:06 PM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Bigwan

• View Profile
@Bigwan, your profile doesn't say where you are but if you want to send me a lid from one of those boxes I would be glad to test it for you, or perhaps there's someone close to you that would work with you to check it out?

- Zax

I'm in Northern Ireland where most people are naturally suspicious of "new"  technology...  I might take you up on that Zak!

The post was a reply  to JLauzons.....lighten up!!

Sorry if I offended...  :(