Author Topic: .dxf files from inkscape  (Read 4185 times)

eodguy

• View Profile
.dxf files from inkscape
« on: May 05, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
I have not been successful at saving .dxf files in inkscape and then loading into T2. There are a few options in inkscape when saving. Which options do I select when saving to open in T2? I get incomplete images or just white space currently.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: .dxf files from inkscape
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
There are several threads on this, but with Inkscape you must convert objects to paths and also flatten Bézier curves. Then export in mm and everything will import correctly.

- Zax

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 04:46:21 AM »
I would hope that eventually you may support Bézier curves.

However, one tip that may help is when you flatten Bézier curves to choose a low number like 1 as it defaults to 10 and looks terrible. I have successfully gotten it converted at 1 and imported into T2 laser. However I don't know if the accuracy is going to be enough. I will attempt a test run later today hopefully.
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:17:42 AM »
I use 0.1 and it keeps the details, you just get more small segments but T2Laser deals with those OK.

- Zax

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 06:11:29 AM »
I use 0.1 and it keeps the details, you just get more small segments but T2Laser deals with those OK.

- Zax

Funny I tried that first and Inksacpe crashed. I am running a fairly modern system too. Oh well trial and error of course. I will try 0.1 again.
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

Rob137

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »
I was having problems with importing from Inkscape as well,
 Then after following zax's procedure everything worked out well and I also found when flattening beziers 0.1 worked best.
Rob

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
Yes,  I have also got it working well now too 0.1 works very nicely

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 02:04:08 AM »
So I have the latest version installed and the problem I have now is that the DXF imports fine but somehow there is no way to scale it. Clicking on output size does nothing. I have a piece that should be 60mm tall and it wants to output at 173mm and won't change no mater what I do. The scale was done in Inkscape and I would assume it would import it correctly otherwise what's the use of the DXF file support. Have I done something wrong or is this a known issue?

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 03:38:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzge6yZJV0I

Came across the above whilst browsing...any good?  (I am not up to speed on this!!) but the guy says it ok for most plotters.
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 04:04:49 AM »
DXF files import exactly as created, you cannot re-scale as you would lose quality.

If you set the size correctly in Inkscape and export in mm the size is very close, it isn't perfect as I've documented but that's a bug within Inkscape and the way it stores information internally.

If you use TurboCAD, it is exactly the dimensions you save.

I still have a note to make a tutorial on exporting DXF's correctly but haven't had time.

- Zax

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 04:22:40 AM »

If you use TurboCAD, it is exactly the dimensions you save.
- Zax

I have a very old T/Cad..(V4!!)does the job for me..only wish it would work on Win10...good job I have a PC with Win7 as it works ok on that... and I can live with transferring stuff to the lappy with a memory stick.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:24:13 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 05:16:26 AM »
i started over in inkscape and re did everything and made sure that the canvas was the size of my object too and everything worked perfectly. Guess something glitched in my last file.. everything working perfectly now