Author Topic: A5 frame is wobbly  (Read 1483 times)

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
A5 frame is wobbly
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »
I am not near my engraver now, but I noticed that one of my legs is lifted off the "ground". I put some shims under it to keep the machine from wobbling. Out of curiousity, could that just be from my frame not being perfectly square?
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: A5 frame is wobbly
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Put it on a flat surface (granite worktop or similar) and if it still rocks you can loosen the corners and it should level out.

You also want to make sure it's square in all directions too, particularly the gantry.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
Yes, you're frame isn't 'square' I had the same issue with my A5 frame. Put it on a flat floor, loosen the frame nuts, push all 4 feet down then tighten.

On my workbench, I have epoxy glued my frame feet to my large 3/4 inch thick plywood work surface so the stepper motors moving the laser head around wouldn't be able to shake or move the frame at all.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »
Thanks guys! I know what I am doing tonight.  ;)
I still want my machine mobile being that I take it in and out of the house to keep it warm and dry (it is 10* F here). I am thinking of a baseboard with some L brackets to secure that machine while in use but have them "quick release". More on that later when I can actually touch my tools without getting frostbite.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »
You will (probably) want to permanently mount your frame to your workbench. Being able to remove it and then re-attach it might cause laser material alignment issues if the frame is off a bit from the X Y lines of the material.

Here is how I solved that problem: my 3/4 inch thick 'workbench' is about 2x2 feet square, so I can just pick up the whole thing and move it. The frame remains attached to it and my frame alignment is always the same to my material. Tip: I just purchased some simple metal drawer handles I'm going to attach this weekend so I can grab the whole bench easier when I need to move it.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
I hear ya Ralph. My problem is I have stuff I want to burn (some signs) that I cannot load from the top of my machine and have to lift my machine up and set them under. The bane of an A5.....

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »
I move mine around and haven't had any problems, once it's straight the frame is plenty rigid enough (we know this because otherwise it wouldn't rock).

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »
So the frame flat and ready for testing.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »
On one of my A5 frames I ha the same problem.

I assembled it on a flat table, so I knew it was flat and square. When I added the legs it was rocking on two feet catty corner. The frame was no longer flat it was flexed in one corner. The holes in the plexi were slightly off. I enlarged the holes slightly so I could relieve the flex. If you left the leg screws loose it sat flat, when you tightened them it would start rocking. It now sits flat like it is supposed to.

A great addition to these frames is rubber feet! At higher movement speeds the frame will walk around causing errors. I mounted mine to a Plastic cutting board. More solid that way but still portable!
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

HaniC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »
I had a similar issue and I aligned my A5 as others mentioned. Loosened bolts holding the frame together, then set legs on a flat surface, pressed on frame and corners until the wobble was gone completely and then tightened bolts back up. Had to do it a couple of times to get it perfect.

This along with gluing on some custom rubber feet increased stability such that I believe it will withstand a cyclone now so a fast cut/engrave with rapid acceleration settings is a piece of cake for the structure. :) :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:11:42 PM by HaniC »

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 07:27:59 PM »
Lobo, I did the same thing and it took me a couple of ties but I got it flat.
Thanks Lobo and Hani for the rubber feet idea!