Author Topic: Welding Curtain as Laser Shield Test  (Read 2957 times)

rokemronnie

• View Profile
Welding Curtain as Laser Shield Test
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
I decided to test some orange PVC welding curtain I bought from Grainger, to use as a general shield around my laser station. It's less than $34 for a 6'x4' sheet with hemmed edges and grommets. It's designed to shield UV and reduce brightness from welding stations. I know it's not certified for use with lasers, but then neither is regular orange acrylic sheet.

https://www.grainger.com/product/WESTWARD-PVC-Welding-Curtain-22RN56

The photograph shows stills pulled from the video with the camera unshielded, shielded with the green goggles that came with the laser kit, one layer of the welding curtain, two layers of the welding curtain and four layers.

It appears that one layer of the welding curtain is slightly less effective than the green goggles. One layer is brighter than the goggles but two layers looks dimmer.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Curtain as Laser Shield Test
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
Just a question as I've never heard of anyone using a welders curtain to block laser beam light before:

Does it matter if the curtain has no wave length rating? Does the welder curtain work just by the sheer thickness of it being able to block laser light like, say, a wall?
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

rokemronnie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
It works the same way your orange acrylic sheet works. If you pick the correct color, it will absorb the blue-violet light.

Understand that I'm not using it to block the beam, I'm using it to reduce ambient light from the beam. If you put the orange PVC directly underneath a focused laser, it will burn right through it.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
As it should, that tells you it is absorbing the energy.

I looked up the welding curtain and it varies between 10-20% transmission at 445nm so equivalent to OD1, obviously you want OD3+ so 3 or 4 layers should do the trick.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
That would be a great resource to have posted in the sticky section.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
I really liked this idea.  I've gotten a number of millisecond flashes from plugging things in and out.  This looked like the perfect solution for a quickie shield.

I bought mine on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tillman-603R64-6-039-X4-039-14mil-Orange-Vinyl-Welding-Curtain-w-Grommets-all-Around-/351985571185?

Then went to the local plumbing supply and put this together:

Then went to a place that does sewing and had them stitch up a quick cover:

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »
On the eBay site I don't see a wave length rating such as 400-490nm for this material...I know everyone is different, but I would NOT risk my eyes being protected with something that doesn't specifically give a wave length rating.

It says for 'welding' but I don't know what kind of welding, or what the wave length ratings are for welding?

I'd say use at your own risk!

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:07:26 AM »
On the eBay site I don't see a wave length rating such as 400-490nm for this material...I know everyone is different, but I would NOT risk my eyes being protected with something that doesn't specifically give a wave length rating.

It says for 'welding' but I don't know what kind of welding, or what the wave length ratings are for welding?

I'd say use at your own risk!

You don't get to be Tillman by blinding your customers.
No one was suggesting you substitute a welding curtain for a welding helmet.
From the eBay ad:

But, If you really need to see specs, all you needed to do was go to the Tillman site.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »
>If you really need to see specs, all you needed to do was go to the Tillman site.

It wasn't only me...many read what you have posted and wouldn't know where to look for this information. Thanks for posting this information for everyone to see.