Author Topic: 7000mw laser  (Read 1840 times)

billgphillips

• View Profile
7000mw laser
« on: March 01, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
I see bangood is advertizing  a 7000mW  laser unit
will be interesting to see what its capabilities areas far as
cutting compared to the 2500 unit

bill

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: 7000mw laser
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
I have been talking to eleksmaker about it. It is their product. It has a fixed focus. I told them we need to be able to adjust it for most of our projects. They are working on a manual or stepper z adjustment for that purpose.  They have told me they will get us some pictures when they find a good solution
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
Be interesting to find out if it is a new diode or just pumping more power thru an existing? I do not like the focus capability on the current 5.5W.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
>stepper z adjustment

This is a poor solution to the focusing problem. A stepper Z is great feature for its intended purpose, which is not focusing. I truly hope they don't implement this as a focusing solution.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgy21u9kz6or62l/SetupBenCutLaser3.1h.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
I prefer manual z adjustment. However a mechanized z is still better than their current solution which is a little adjustable table with a scissor lift
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
I guess its a matter of terms...'mechanized z' if operated by a human is a nice way to focus no doubt. A 'stepper z' implies (at least to me) a full blown stepper motor on the Z axis, with Grbl support (why else would you have a stepper motor right?).

I guess we'll all have to wait and see what they end up doing!

George brings up an excellent point: is this a real 7w diode or are they over powering a 5.5w diode?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:45:30 PM by Administrator »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
Powered z-axis is nice for cutting.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
Powered z-axis is nice for cutting.

That's the feature that can make our low powered laser machines work like a CO2 laser...except we need many passes to cut 1/4 inch thick wood for example, where as, a CO2 laser can do it in one pass. But without a Z axis stepper motor, we can't even think about cutting 1/4 inch wood.

There is also a big price difference in getting a good CO2 laser up and running vs our $250.00 DIY laser kits.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:58:35 PM by Administrator »

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
My home-brew slide mechanism is not very precise. Started building a second machine with linear bearings on 8mm rod. New scheme for Z but I have a problem that is completely eluding me, how to tell if the laser beam is perfect (or close to) vertical from the work. Any tilt results in a wide cut. I'm not sure that rotating the adjustment lens keeps it vertical. Any suggestions?

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 12:22:48 AM »
My home-brew slide mechanism is not very precise. Started building a second machine with linear bearings on 8mm rod. New scheme for Z but I have a problem that is completely eluding me, how to tell if the laser beam is perfect (or close to) vertical from the work. Any tilt results in a wide cut. I'm not sure that rotating the adjustment lens keeps it vertical. Any suggestions?

Are you using 8.00mm course or fine thread rod? Course will have a pitch of 1.25mm; fine is 1.00mm. 1.00mm would seem ideal and the finer the better to give minimum backlash so how about M5 fine pitch. Source http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metric-threads-d_777.html

Just tossing in some ideas ... I think I would look to have any mechanism as light as possible and short threaded rods (one left thread and one right) either side of the Z carriage (connected by a 1:1 gear head and knob on top) to keep the mass of laser and carriage as close to the rail as possible to minimise off-axis loading.  www.gwr-precision.co.uk is a great place for threaded materials in UK. Next to find a small precision linear rail mechanism at a sensible price; not easy it has to be said!

Mike
PS - Admin - perhaps move this discussion to a dedicated Z-Axis thread (no pun intended!)

2.5W BangGood laser kit in use by my daughter for craft work.
3.5W BangGood with TTL board in use by me as a developemt tool only.
T2Laser and Benbox software.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with moving to its own thread.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »
Our laser beams are not parallel, they focus to a point. Either side of the "ideal" focus point they are wider. Wider means the energy is dissipated across a larger area. When using the Z axis, I manually focus the beam at the top surface and lower the beam depending on material thickness and number of passes. It is not perfect but does significantly help when aligned properly.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
>Can you elaborate on how a z axis would improve on 2.5mw machine?

I discarded my 2.5w laser diode (head) in favor of a 1.6w laser diode because my 2.5w unit got too hot on long cut jobs. Others have reported their 2.5w units don't over heat so I suspect mine was a bad unit. The 1.6w unit remains cool to the touch no matter how long the cut job is running at 100% power.

I'm also pleased that the beam diameter on the 1.6 seems to be a tad smaller than on my 2.5w unit.

If your CAM software supports a Z axis, as BCL does, then I can use it to automatically drop the Z axis on every pass. This provides you with two advantages: your focus sweet spot is always in the same position to the wood so each pass gives you the same high quality cut with each pass. Secondly, you can cut materials thicker than 3mm, which is about the max with these low power laser machines without a Z axis. 1/4 inch thick plywood you should be able to cut with multiple passes.

>I watched a youtube vid the orher day where the person flipped the work piece and cut through thick material

The biggest problem with this technique is getting your laser head lined up with the material on the reverse side. I would not even want to try it. The other problem is your line burn shape is now reversed so your g-code has to know that and somehow regenerate itself in reverse as well. Way too messy and way too difficult for me to want to deal with. BCL doesn't support reversing its g-code like that, so I don't know what software you would use to do it.

If you can do that method and get good results, my hat is off to you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:14:37 PM by Administrator »