Author Topic: Motor pins on Mana SE  (Read 921 times)

laser_cutter

• View Profile
Motor pins on Mana SE
« on: March 02, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »

What is the motor pin connection for?

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
Re: Motor pins on Mana SE
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »
Works to power a fan IIRC.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
It is a (MOSFET) switched output that can be used for lasers without a TTL input, that only have 2 wires.

CheckmateArts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
It is a (MOSFET) switched output that can be used for lasers without a TTL input, that only have 2 wires.

can this be used independently of the other laser connection to control something else? for example, a relay.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
They are both connected to the same pin, so not really. If you wanted to turn on something at the same time then you could use both the laser and motor connectors.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 11:01:23 AM »
The motor pins are connected to the 12v supply, the ground side is switched by the mosfet rated at 10A 16V and the gate is connected to the D11 pin via a 100R resstor.

So a 12v fan connected here will cycle with the laser intensity, could be a decent extractor fan though, faster for more smoke..

The servo pins are powered by the onboard 5v 3A switch mode supply, the servo control line is D11 again. It was designed to be a big servo as the only other things that 5v supply powers is the pololu logic supply, which only draws a few mA.

There is a small solderable jumper underneath the nano that woukd connect the nano 5v regulator output to the onboard 5v supply, I am not sure why yet. I suspect it is so the nano can power the pololu logic but that would require a way of 'unplugging' the onboard 5v, I have not yet looked underneath the board to see if maybe a trach is designed to be cut perhaps ?

A resistor change woukd then enable the 5v supply to be increased for the servo output, a lot of bigger servos use 7v for example.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 07:06:31 PM »
I don't have a  Mana SE but not sure I agree with "The servo pins are powered by the onboard 5v 3A switch mode supply".
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »
Well, uhh .. it is.

I have been doing electronics for near 40 years, professionally for 30 in various jobs including emergency industrial repairs, I can hold a multimeter probe and decipher an unknown board.

The sole reason for the existence of the  chunky 5v 3A on the SE board is to power the centre pin of the servo output, nothing else it is connected to uses any more than a few mA.
The motor out connectir is 12v, the laser is 12v .. and oh, I forgot one output, the 'bluetooth' 4 pin header also uses that supply.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »
My mistake. I read servo, thought stepper.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »
No worrys :)

It is the power supply for the logic supply on the pololus but that is its only relationship to the steppers.

I will likely be changing a few things later and powering the SE with 24V instead of 12v later, will need to change the input cap next to the power button with a 35V and add a 12V switchmode for the laser supply, probably some heatsinks to the pololus, but that should be it to get double the speed out of the steppers.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

OneFourteen

• View Profile
Re: Motor connector on Mana SE
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »

Hello!
I just received and built the A3 Eleks kit and a 15W laser I ordered separately. The laser has only 2 wires and is connected to a separate module. The module has 4 ports: Power, TTL, Fan, and laser. My question: does the supply connector cable that connects to the TTL port suppose to connect to the Motor port on the Mana SE board? I have connected in the picture, but being new to this I didn't want to assume and destroy anything.

Secondly, the Mana SE board came supplied with a 12v 2.5A power supply and the laser came with a 12v 5A power supply.   If the module's TTL port connects to the motor port on the Mana SE will one power supply provide power to the laser via that connection or will I need to supply separate power to the laser module and to the Mana SE?

I do I have this all wrong?

Thanks in advance for answers and suggestions!

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
I reckon the TTL (what I assume is an input) is going to be expecting a ground and a pulsed 5v signal. The motor output is 12v and switched ground .. ie, quite possibly explodey for ttl inputs.

Next to the motor connector is a 3 pin laser connector, one of those pins is a TTL output, one is 12v and one is ground. So I would be connecting the ttl input to 2 of the 3 pins on the laser connector.

The 2.5a supply powering the gantry, the nano runs off the usb but the motor drivers need the 12v.

The 5A supply would plug into the laser controller board and power the laser and fan.

Do not turn it on connected as you have it. There is a rsk of blowing the module but it is probably well protected being just a signal input.

I am guessing the above but i do a lot of electronicey stuff, you will be able to swap some pins into a 3 pin cable if they supplied you with one and rig up the 2 pins into a 3 pin connector.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 12:37:46 PM »
Stonemull is correct, you want to connect the TTL to the Mana SE - (which is actually a ground) and S pins.

The power to the laser should be independent of the machine, directly from the power supply.

OneFourteen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »
Thanks Stonemull and Zax for your responses.
There were no other connectors supplied with the laser other than the 2 pin seen in the pic. I did try to see if it would fit in the laser 3 pin slot and it did however I would need to trip off the guide extrusion on the 2 pin connector to make it fit without warping. The + would fit with the S  and -  with -.
I had to leave town for work, will give it a shot once I get back home.

Thanks again!