Author Topic: Slow customer service  (Read 5234 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Slow customer service
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »
I've had my Folgertech 3D Printer now for about a year. The hot bed stopped working recently and I'm trouble shooting it to find out what failed.

I sent a support email to Folgertech and was disappointed it took 2 days to get a response. I had to ask a question in response to their email and so far, another whole day has passed, without a reply to my reply.

I don't know what has happened to their customer service but it's really slow now. I'd have to think hard and long about buying another major system from them. Having to wait 2 days for a support response is unsat in my book!

They have a phone number, which I called, but it is only a pre-recorded message with no human at the other end. Bad. really bad.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:05:40 PM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: Slow customer service
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 12:21:45 AM »
A number of people in the UK dissatisfied with customer service  from various companies, have aired their complaints on Twitter and Farcebook and forums they belong to......  Once this gets around and the company get to hear  they soon pull their finger out...
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »
I got my answer from FolgerTech this morning. I'll need to order a whole new RAMPS 1.4 controller board for my 3D Printer. I've ordered two boards.

I first contacted them on March 7th (last Tuesday), got a reply, asked a clarification question and got that reply this morning. Seven days total. Very slow customer service. I'm not happy with FolgerTech.

And before anyone says they are closed on the weekends, they are an online business and many online businesses are (should be) open on the weekends.

For my BCL software, I am here 7 days a week, 16 hours a day to support it. My 3D Printer has been down because of this failure and I have customers waiting on my laser machine belt anchors, which I 3D print and sell to help support this forum. They have been held up too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:47:18 AM by Administrator »

rokemronnie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »
Ralph,

I mentioned in another thread that Tom Sanladerer has started a "cheapest possible Prusa clone" project on his YouTube channel. It inspired me to build my own clone, but I need something that will work reliably and well and I'm not sure you can do that with a "cheapest possible" build philosophy, so I'll be upgrading a number of things. Thomas says that the RAMPS/Arduino combination that most of the cheap Prusa clones use will work, but they're far from ideal as a controller, so I'm strongly considering buying an authentic RAMBO 1.4 from Ultimachine.

If you're using your printer to make things for sale, you might want to consider switching to the more robust RAMBO. Businesses and hobbyists have different needs.

The QC on so much electronics from China seems iffy at best. This forum is full of stories about burnt out MOSFETs and trashed Arduino chips.

Yes, an authentic RAMBO 1.4 costs >$170, and you can buy some complete Prusa clone kits for that much but I see it as paying to avoid headaches.

I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm guessing that with an authentic RAMBO, which my original Prusa i3 Mk2 also uses, I can flash the firmware with Prusa's version and it will run like an actual clone.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
I sell my laser machine belt anchors to help raise money for this forum. But it's not a high volume sales thing. I wouldn't mind just giving out the .stl files for those who have a 3D printer, but this is one of the two ways I support this site. The other way is with donations and, while some have donated, the vast majority do not and that's OK. I myself, like most users, are used to forums being free access. So it's a hard thing to ask for donations.

So, my point is, I don't have any 3D Printer volume to justify spending $170.00 on a controller board. I actually like the RAMPS 1.4 board -- a lot -- and it has worked flawlessly for about one year. I recently worked with a user who has the RAMPS 1.4 running on his low powered Grbl laser machine and got my BCL software working with it. FolgerTech sells the RAMPS 1.4 board for $6.95. I bought two of them since they are so cheap. So, if I get a year, or less out of one, $6.95 ain't so bad in my opinion.

While I am not part of the core CAM-Tech Team here at BenboxLaser.us, I believe that the RAMPS 1.4/Mega2560 combination is going to be the primary or one of the primary setups for laser machines coming out from them in the near future. It offers vast amounts of Grbl code space (RAM) and much faster performance...and all at a very inexpensive cost.

But thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:31:59 PM by Administrator »

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »
My two RAMPS 1.4 controller boards arrived today.

My initial contact with FolgerTech was on March 7th. So this support and sale took 11 days to complete.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
I started to assemble one of the RAMPS 1.4 controller boards only to discover the stepper shield pins won't fit on the board. The board is either warped or not made to spec.

I was able to assemble using the second board without any alignment problems like the first board (so $6.95 wasted on one RAMPS 1.4 controller board).

While removing all the wiring I noticed some burnt wires and sent this pic (attached) to FolgerTech asking if there is something in the power supply or elsewhere that I can turn down the voltage or how can I prevent this from happening again? I don't know if there is anything that can be done to prevent this. So I sent the email today and if the past is any indication, I'll have to wait at least 2 days for a reply.

Mean time, I have the new board all ready for the wiring (attachment) and you can see the wiring in the background with white paper tags I used so I know where each one goes on the controller board. Since I can attach all the wires in 5 minutes, I've decided to wait until I hear from FolgerTech in case there might be an adjustment I need to make on the board itself (such as a jumper as there are a lot of jumper pins under the stepper driver mini-boards).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:28:00 PM by Administrator »

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:16 PM »
The burnt wires is a common problem with ALL ramps boards. Those connectors are rated at 20A max and most of the hot beds can draw that much. Solder something like an XT60's to the board - they are designed to take 60 amps.

Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
>Solder something like an XT60's to the board.

What is that?

wild.bill

• View Profile
          80W Red-Black 500x700

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
XT60will handle the load!
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »
But I still have to connect the wires to the terminal screw so where is the advantage? The burn out was at the screw terminal, not half way down the wire body. I don't get how these will help/prevent this over heat problem.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »
I believe wild bill is saying remove the terminal from the board and solder the XT60s in its place
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

wild.bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »
I believe wild bill is saying remove the terminal from the board and solder the XT60s in its place

That is what I have done, take the crap connector off the board and used 16g wire to the XT60 connector. I also have the XT60 connectors on all of my power supplies, battery chargers, ... for all my projects. I even use them on my bigger quad's and planes.
          80W Red-Black 500x700

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »
Well, I ordered the XT60's and some brass connectors but the brass connectors are too big of a diameter to fit the 4 pins coming out of the RAMPS board.

I don't think the XT60's will work either as one doesn't fit the two pins very solidly and then, as the attachment shows, leaves no room for the other XT60.

So, I'm still puzzled how I'm going to make this work.