Author Topic: FAQ - my motors don't move  (Read 659 times)

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
FAQ - my motors don't move
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:58:29 PM »
For FAQ section - when I connect with software xxx my motors don't move and I can't turn the laser on.

There are a few things that can prevent you from controlling your laser system from any software package. The first thing to check is are you even getting connected to the controller.

When you first connect to the controller the GRBL firmware sends back a message with what version is loaded. When you connect you should get a message back like:

BenCutLaser (c) 2016-2017 All Rights Reserved
Developed by Ralph Freshour and Paul Henty
support@BenCutLaser.us
Connected to COM24 @ 115200 baud
Grbl 1.1e ['$' for help]
-- from BenCutLaser

or

Connected COM24 115200
Grbl 1.1e ['$' for help]
$$
-- from T2 Laser

If you don't have either of these software packages you can use a terminal program like the one that is built into Arduino Software development package or Putty. With any of these programs if things are set up correctly you should see something like Grbl 1.1e ['$' for help] when you connect.

If you don't get the Grbl line showing the version you are not connected to the controller.

This can be caused by not using the correct com port or not having the proper windows driver for the Nano processor. Both BenCutLaser and T2Laser have drop down boxes to see what com ports are available. If none of the available com ports work you should look at the windows device manager. Under Ports  (COM & LPT) you should see a USB port (see first attachment). If you don't see it the next things is to look to see if there is an unknown USB device - if so you need to fix the driver. The driver that I use with my Banggood Laser is the one that came with BenBox the original software.

If the device shows up in the Device manager and you are still not connecting properly try a different USB cable. You would be surprised at how many bad one's there are.

Once you get Gbrl version response on connection you are now ready to move on to the next step to see what is working and not. My advise to everyone checking out a laser system is at this point leave the laser disconnected until you have the motors set up and working properly.

Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6 Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser CNC Shield Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini

Boston Ma, USA