Author Topic: 405nm 500mw laser won't turn on - steppers are fine though?  (Read 678 times)

cc831jc

• View Profile
405nm 500mw laser won't turn on - steppers are fine though?
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »
 :'(

Ok, I have this same controller board as Lulu (see their post from last year) and have been scouring the forum for help - I cannot get the Benbox software to turn on the laser at all.  No weak laser, no full power laser, nothing.  I purchased it on ebay, connected everything with ZERO instructions other than using a similar engraver's instructables pictures I'd found thru Google.  While I can get the stepper motors to work with the software just fine (pat myself on the back for that success), but I cannot get the laser to turn on.  I'm completely new (like the definition of Newbie) to this laser engraving world - I don't know if I'm supposed to be pushing the buttons on top of the controller board before I try turning on the laser thru Benbox's software buttons.  I even went so far as to buy another laser, thinking this one was bad, but it comes with a different connection than the 2 pin that goes to the board.  I just wanted this to be able to use it on leather and wood and stuff, but if I can't figure this thing out soon, I'm going to see how it does as a frisbee...

Help  :o

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: 405nm 500mw laser won't turn on - steppers are fine though?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
First, welcome!

Second, the two buttons - one is to turn the machine on (power) and the other is labeled weak (or week) laser. This turns the laser on for focusing only. DO NOT LEAVE ON FOR MORE THAN 20 SECONDS. if left on, it can damage your board. This does not have to be on to run your laser.

I am trying to help another with a similar problem here. http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1782.msg21491.html#msg21491

I was new as of last June.  Just stick with it. Once you get over the big hurdles, you only have to watch out for the mole holes to trip you. ;D
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

cc831jc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »
Hi,  and thank you,  and thank you for the quick reply. I don't have the two buttons on top,  i only have one,  and it's near the 12v power plug in. And i don't have the jumper under the nano, under mine is empty,  my jumper is to the side of it,  it in the open, and I've set it per what i see everyone calling for it to be set at. I've attached the pic from lulu's post,  mine is the same,  with the exception that I've moved the jumper over already.  Thank you and anyone else for their time in reading this and trying to help me...

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »
There are normally two sets of jumpers. The one in the open is for the laser power and the one under the nano (if there) is for the the pin control for the laser. Two different things.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297