Author Topic: iMaker STARTT 3D Printer US  (Read 250 times)

rgrokett

• View Profile
iMaker STARTT 3D Printer US
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:20:41 PM »
If you haven't seen it, here is the STARTT 3D Printer ($99! machine only or $124 with two spools of PLA)

https://www.imakr.com/us/en/startt-affordable-3d-printer/1146-startt-3d-printer.html

Anyone got one yet?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iMaker STARTT 3D Printer US
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
Hard to beat that price!!

UPDATE:

1. No heated bed. I know the price is very low but I don't think I'd want to use a 3D Printer without a heated bed.

2. What kind of controller board is THAT?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:07:05 PM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.4a.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »
It's cheap, but I don't think it would be a good starter system (for a beginner which is how they are marketing it).

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
Cool and good price, but very limited.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board
Software: T2L
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

rokemronnie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »
Tom Sanladerer finished his "Cheapest Possible Prusa Clone" project, or at least completed the machine and got the firmware to the point where it was printing okay, but with some errors. He sourced everything as cheaply as he could from China and ended up spending between $100 and $150 for the components. While ordering things that way, a la carte, end up adding a lot of shipping costs, still, you have to consider exactly how cheap, in both senses of the word, the components used in the iMaker STARTT are.

All of the cheap printers are variants on Jo Prusa's RepRap design. I won't call them clones because a clone should be identical or at least perform similarly. If you think about how little support so many of the cheap printers from the far East have, and how much support you can find online about RepRap/Prusa printers, it seems to me that with just a little research you'd be better off putting together your own "kit".

I'm waiting for all of the parts for a steel Prusa and if that goes well, I think I'll build a Wilson II variant of the Prusa. That's based on 2020 aluminum extrusion so it can be expanded in width to accommodate a 250mm wide Prusa Mk42 bed.