Author Topic: Best 3D printer software  (Read 1934 times)

kn4ud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Best 3D printer software
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »
Ralph I think Richard is using it for 3d printer. LOL, I played with it some then I thought to myself, I 67 year old I ain't got time to learn this and promptly deleted it..
Allen

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »
Fusion 360 is on my main system.

I like Sketchup because it works fine on my lower powered Tablets. The whole idea was to have a complete "system" attached to the 3D printer. And it all works together. Plug it in and it is ready to design, slice and print.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade

PD0RUZ

• Let there be light, LASER LIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
Like my Original Vertex software, Repetier Host.
*A3 Laser 2500mW
*T2Laser Licensed software*
*Modified 2.5Watt laser module*
*Running Agastar Linear Pwm laser board*
*Co2 Laser 40W*

beikeland

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 09:40:45 AM »
Another vote for Fusion 360; not sure I would use it professionally as that requires you to pay a monthly subscription, but its basically free for non-profit use; and it one software for laser cutting, 3d printing or CNC milling for me.

antoled

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
Hello guys; I am new to the forum!

I use Fusion360 for several months; to design in 3D is fantastic.
Very easy to use!

slicing program; KISSLICER is very good; simple interface but very good management of gcode; IMHO better to simplify!

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
I like using Repetier Host for my 3D Printing. It took me a long time to get it set up and configured just right after many many test jobs.

I really like using SketchUp to do 3D drawings. I know you can do 2D with it, but it's a kludge 2D...I wish they made a good, dedicated 2D SketchUp...I'd use it rather than QCAD and Librecad.
Ralph--Admin -- support_BenCutLaser_us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.3a.exe.zip
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BCLVirtualLaserMachineSetup1.8.2.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
VLM Paid license: $19.95 (stand alone version)
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
Repetier has a lot of settings options.

I think if you are new to 3D printing Cora is a good start. It is simple and easy to use. It has plenty of settings to start out with. It is good for family members to use also.

Repetier is better once you have some experience in printing. When you are ready to move to ABS or other advanced filaments it is probably time to learn Repetier.

I like Sketchup also. It is pretty easy to use. And you can easily get to a 2.5D part. And true 3D is possible.
Richard

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
I have been playing around with TinkerCAD and am really enjoying it. I do not have a 3D printer yet, but want to get my feet wet in the software first to make sure I can actually do what I want to do.
While TinkerCAD will work for most 3d printing project for me, I am also looking for a 3D modeling software that will let me work with larger sizes. Maybe I am missing something on Sketchup, but I am having a hard time lining things up and keeping them on the same Z plane. Anyone have some good tutorial sites/videos that worked for them?
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board
Software: T2L
Image Resizer Applications: http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg20182.html#msg20182

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »
There are many challenges to working with 3D printing. Finding a good 3D CAD program is just one of them. I like using SketchUp Make and I can get things done fairly fast now that I'm up to speed on how to use it.

However, the biggest challenge, in my opinion, is how to design your 3D object so that it will actually produce a good 3D print. If you've not worked with 3D printing before, then you probably will have no concept of what this means. It means that just because you can design it and create it in your 3D CAD program, doesn't mean you can print it.

Much of the time, you'll have to re-design your part so you can make a good 3D print of it. Things that stick out and over hang won't print well at all. If you must have an over hanging part, you'll learn to add 'supporting' legs in your CAD drawing so your printer will build up the support filament needed before it starts to lay down the over hanging part itself. Then, afterwards, you'll have to manually cut away this supporting material and clean up your part.

When you look at your finished CAD drawing, you have to decide which side will lay down on the hot bed? It's not always obvious.

With experience, you'll learn and see in your CAD drawings what will work, what might work and what won't work for sure.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:15:29 PM by Administrator »

jtice

• View Profile
    • www.jtice.com
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »
I also use Fusion 360. Works well for me, a bit of a learning curve but not too bad.
I like that its sketch based, then you make a 3D shape from that sketch. Change something in the sketch,, it propagates to the 3d object.
I found SketchUp easier to use at first,,,,, until you went to do some sort of seemingly easy shape, and you struggle for an hour.
Just some things seem to be clunky in it, and hard to do.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks big of you for the input. Jtice, I had the same problem.
Ralph, totally hear you on the software. I am trying to actually see if I can make something in 3D first. Walk before running. I was playing around with cura to view some model from thingiverse and notices a checkbox for supports. That seems almost too easy. Is cura mainly for noobs?
Image Resizer Applications: http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg20182.html#msg20182

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Pilot Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:55 PM »
I don't think Cura is necessarily for newbies, but I don't use it...I use Repetier-Host.

All the 3D software will offer supports etc. but the real problem is removing the supporting structure after the print job is done. This could take a lot of time to remove and clean up the object. If you're printing something that needs supports and selling it, then it means a lot of manual clean up work. After some experience in the 3D objects design game, you'll start to really look at your designs with an eye on 'can this be printed OK'? And often the answer will be 'no' so you keep changing the design until it will still work, but will now also be 3D printable!

BTW - I also wanted to say that Fusion 360 is extremely expensive -- but -- they have a free version license that works for us. I downloaded it to try it out and found that it is a massive program...really huge...you will need a PC with some horse power to make good use of it...I kind of think of it as bringing a Sherman Tank to a go-cart race!! But in the end, free is good!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:45:28 PM by Administrator »

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »
CURA works pretty well. You do not always need all the settings available in Repetier. There is also Matter Control. I have barely used that one. I also tried Microsoft 3D Builder, it was confusing to set up. If you have family that are going to use it setup CURA and it remembers the setting from the last print. I do most of my printing in CURA.
Richard

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
Thanks lobo. I want to get my daughter interested in 3D printing. She keeps asking me to engrave a picture of our cats, but I just don't have greyscale down pat yet. A girl after my heart. Mom is a painter and I am a builder. I am very interested in what she becomes. Her imagination is amazing and I can't wait to share some 3D printing with her. I am setting up an old computer with Linux for her to have as her own, so we will see what she creates.

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
Get her a Raspberry Pi too!
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b

Linux based $35, credit card sized computer with GPIO for running external projects. Large, Mature community and lots of documented project!
Richard