Author Topic: 3.5W 450nm Laser Module (Banggood)/New Mana SE (No Jumper)  (Read 1242 times)

Koskee

• View Profile
3.5W 450nm Laser Module (Banggood)/New Mana SE (No Jumper)
« on: March 29, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
Looking for a bit of help. I used to build custom handheld lasers years ago, so I have a decent idea when it comes to diodes, drivers, heatsinking, etc. I also know basic TTL/PWM concepts, which I picked up relating to microcontrollers, but beyond basic arduino outputs there are some gaps (esp. in relation to LDs since anything I've done before has always been a constant wave application)

I know I saw this laser mentioned on here somewhere before, but I didn't see anything about my specific issue discussed in any detail to be useful.
 I bought a 3.5W laser module on sale from banggood, 450nm (http://www.banggood.com/450nm-3500mW-3_5W-Blue-Laser-Module-With-TTL-Modulation-for-DIY-Laser-Cutter-Engraver-p-1103261.html) and it comes with a separate board, which I'm guessing is a TTL board, although I am not certain.

Side story: The laser got lost in the mail for about 5 months, they refunded it because they didn't have any in stock, and I bought another diode from DTR (i'll save that discussion until my heatsink shows up). But then, litterally 5 months later, this laser finally shows up. Its packaged in a static safe bag, wrapped in thin white foam, and thrown in a plastic mailing BAG. (Like wtf? Guess theres a shortage of cardboard in china?) Needless to say, after getting passed around the mail system for 5 months, one of the potentiometers was bent almost off the board and the heatsink was bent on one corner. Not sure how much of that was there in the first place (I mean look at the wonky soldering job in the pictures posted on THEIR^site)

Anyway, I am trying to interface it with the (new?) Mana SE board (no jumper under nano, or anywhere actually, and has an inductor under the nano instead) I'll attach a picture. Neither of the 2 items came with a cable that would go between them, so I've had to make one out of my parts bin ( I had 3 pin connectors for the laser, but not 2 pin for the others)

The problem is that the TTL board has 4 pins, but the laser connector only has 3. I can get the TTL board to turn on, and the fan on the module runs, but the laser just doesn't want to pew pew. It seems the TTL signal might need a ground, but I've tried attaching that pin to ground and it doesn't work. I have gone through countless ways of connecting it but can't seem to get any of them to do anything.

I saw in another thread they mention if you have a 2 pin laser, that the mana has built in TTL (which mine does) and could be connected to the motor connector. I am hesitant to try this though, as I've taken the fan off the back of the laser module and the wires go right into the back of the diode housing. I don't SEE any sort of current regulator, but I guess there could be a small one in there. I'm not certain that the diode is going to be able to handle a full +12v if there's no curcuitry in there, I've never heard of a diode running directly on 12v.. If there is, I'm not sure enough about the polarity of the wires to connect it with any confidence (I have Gray and Dark purple/blue from the diode, which could be interpreted either way) Is it ok to plug my diode directly into the mana SE (with no visible current regulation?)

As others discussed in another thread, I tried hooking a fan to some of the pins, and it seems I am getting PWM output on all three of the servo, laser and motor connectors. the signal on the laser connector is <5v paired with 12v supply, the motor puts out +12v PWM, and the servo has 5v (or actually 4.78v) pwm on the S line, and 4.78v supply. So that all seems to be working as expected from what I can tell, other than it being shy of 5v.

I'm trying to get it running with the trial T2 software and 1.1e firmware. I doubt it really matters, but the rest of the system is an Eleksmaker A3.

Anybody have any ideas? I mean for all I know, it might have been damaged in shipping, or maybe I fried it, but I would like to know whats wrong either way.

Thanks in advance, hope i didn't forget anything relevant.

Koskee

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: 3.5W 450nm Laser Module (Banggood)/New Mana SE (No Jumper)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 04:45:47 AM »
Take a look here: http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1262.msg15518.html#msg15518

I have the same laser/driver, you only need to use one of the TTL pins so you actually have 3 wires to connect. The 12V and GND and the TTL signal, you can leave the power coming from the driver board and just connect the TTL wire to the S pin on the Mana SE.

Koskee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Hmm. That's not a good sign then, because I've tried that configuration  several times and it doesn't work. I'm going to look through your link but if that doesn't help I guess i'll be troubleshooting whether it's the diode or the driver that's burnt. sh**.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
Mine was shipped the same way, and the fan was snapped off when it arrived. So I understand  :-\

I also remember the power was reversed, so I had to lift the latch up and connect it "backwards" for it to work.

If it helps, I can take some measurements and compare to yours.

Koskee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »

I also remember the power was reversed, so I had to lift the latch up and connect it "backwards" for it to work.

Can you elaborate on this a little more? When you say lift the latch up, do you mean the latch on one of the connectors or..?
Mine came with a bunch of red gunk that was obviously to stop the connector(s)  from being disconnected from the LD&fan.  When I tried to pull the connector apart, the entire connector housing came off and left only the 2 bare pins behind lol. That stuff is surprisingly strong, I'm guessing it's some sort of epoxy.

Koskee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »
OMG it works. Awesome. Problem was, as Zax said, wires were reversed.

In the attached image, you can see that the white connector with + and - markings is facing the opposite way from the other 2 blue connectors like it. The same connector (+-) is clearly not within the bounds of the silk screen outline directly under it. It isn't a problem for that connector, since + and - are clearly labeled and they don't provide a cable to plug into it.

However, on the board I have, it had the laser output backwards and the TTL backwards as well. I'll admit, I may have accidentally turned the laser output around myself when trying to pull the connector out of its socket and the whole thing came off - I can't remember exactly. But I know the other one came that way for sure (and I probably just used the backwards one as a reference if that's what happened. Good thing I never tried reversing the TTL signal before I figured that out though, since that would have been -7.55v into the laser head.. And my guess would be that any driver inside wouldn't take that kind of abuse, based on the spectacular engineering these guys seem to put out :-\ )

Anyway, thanks for the time spent everyone  8)
Now all I need is a shark. ( So I can mount this on its frickin head! )

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 11:12:06 PM »
If you have a problem with the laser pulsing on for about a second when changing from the design to the laser screens in t2laser or at any other time you might like to carry out the small modification that I describe in this message:  http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1391.msg18049.html#msg18049

I see the assembly of the large components is as poor on your board as it was on mine. I desoldered most of them and re-fitted them correctly.

Mike
2.5W BangGood laser kit in use by my daughter for craft work.
3.5W BangGood with TTL board in use by me as a developemt tool only.
T2Laser and Benbox software.

Koskee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:03 PM »
As did I.. Did you have as much trouble with it as I did? Whatever type of solder they use on there doesn't want to melt worth a damn. I suspect it's low quality lead free paste that they're using. For me I was concerned that I was going overheat some components before I could get a decent flow going. Standard rosin flux seemingly has no effect on it neither which was a bit surprising I thought.

I noticed tonite after doing a quick test burn that it does come in for a few seconds when going to control last menu option  So far I find it can be avoided by turning off the 12v button on the front of the mana before attempting to switch... As a temp fix for the time being