Author Topic: solenoid control  (Read 837 times)

CheckmateArts

• View Profile
solenoid control
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »
Was wondering if it is possible to control a relay to activate/deactivate a solenoid from this board.

I haven't researched this hardware at all so would like an opinion of how hard it might be to do this.

Just got my laser setup assembled/setup a couple days back....

Cutting and engraving various materials (glass, wood, paper, plastics) is working fine. Read all about T2 and BenCutLaser and did evaluations.

I am looking at adapting this platform to use other types of engraving tools. I need to control a solenoid to raise/lower tools. I don't believe I need full z-axis control. I can design/make the tool holding fixture without trouble.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: solenoid control
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:49:11 AM »
You could use the motor output to control a solenoid, or if you need it as an additional output you could use the Z axis. I would suggest the direction pin, then it will work with T2Laser and probably BCL too. You can use the same firmware, it will just need a simple driver.

CheckmateArts

• View Profile
Re: solenoid control
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »
You could use the motor output to control a solenoid, or if you need it as an additional output you could use the Z axis. I would suggest the direction pin, then it will work with T2Laser and probably BCL too. You can use the same firmware, it will just need a simple driver.

Considering use in BCL.... I would like to keep BCL the way it is for using a laser. In addition I would like BCL to define another type tool. When this tool is selected, BCL would turn on/off some other output that isn't used for controlling the laser. So, you could quickly swap a laser for an electric engraver similar to attached image. Solenoid would just raise/lower electric engraver.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:07:13 PM by CheckmateArts »