Author Topic: Controlling Z axis  (Read 2640 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling Z axis
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
I like that manual knob design to focus. I'm going to see if my laser machine factory can sell me one.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xftw71gccfhyl3y/SetupBenCutLaser2.9a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »
I ordered one of these knob manual focus mechanisms from AliExpress->Novel Life and it arrived today!!

Now I have to install it onto my laser machine...!!!

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »
does he have it posted? I dont see it listed on his seller page.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
No this is not a posted, separate part but you can order it if you want one.

I'm getting a URL link and price from them and will post it here for anyone who is interested in ordering it (I order a lot of laser parts and I cannot remember what I paid for it).

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 05:51:49 AM »
Doesn't everyone have an aluminium slide assembly that the laser fits into, undo thumbsrews, move laser, retighten ?
I don't get why it needs a motor ?

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 06:47:07 AM »
No. That was an improvement they made on newer machines.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »
Ahah, that explains why they sell them, I can recommend them, it works sufficiently well and is a simple solution, plus you can easily change laser.
I usually leave the bottom screws done up and just rest the laser on them and use the 2 screws above to clamp it, then only need 2 screws to move it and the laser will not fall out the bottom when you unscrew themm.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 07:47:19 AM »
No this is not a posted, separate part but you can order it if you want one.

I'm getting a URL link and price from them and will post it here for anyone who is interested in ordering it (I order a lot of laser parts and I cannot remember what I paid for it).

AliExpress->Novel Life told me they don't sell this as a separate product  :(

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
So he had one around and did you a solid by sending you one?
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
He sent it to me because I'm the Admin...I didn't ask for it for free, I paid for it and I didn't say I was going to do a review of it...I was asking as a normal, paying customer and he sent me a link for it. I didn't know it wasn't a separate product that they sell.

Anyway, I will install it when I get the time and I will report on what I think of it.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »
I discovered this little guy in my junk draws last week, it is linear and only has about 20mm of stroke, but enough for some things I can think of, well over 1000 steps/mm too with microstepping.

Weighs 75g.
Photo is at full extension almost.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »
Well, I'm in the middle of trying to install the manual knob Z axis focusing hardware. See attachment.

It looks like I'm going to have to do some modifications: drilling larger wheel holes on the two lower wheels. Their is not enough vertical play and the assembly does not slide left/right smoothly because the wheels are too tight on the rails. The wheels are pinched too tightly vertically. I will drill larger holes so I have some vertical play to try and get smooth X axis movement. I think my modification will work.

Modification Two: The part of the acrylic that holds the laser head, slides down and kind of 'snaps' into the other main acrylic part. There is too much play between these two major acrylic parts and I ended up having to use my glue gun and glue the small acrylic piece that snaps down, onto the main mount, to make it more solid, so the laser head would not wiggle. While this is an improvement, it only reduces the wiggle by about 80% to 90%. I think it will work OK but obviously I have to get to the point where I'm done and can test it.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:37 PM »
I had a similar problem wth the wheels clamping the rail when everything is pinched up tight.
I found the easiest solution was to assemble it all only finger tight instead of using tools.
Once assembled then I could tighten or loosen any of the threaded spacers a small amount, by adjusting which were tight and which needed backing off an 1/8 turn or less with long nose pliers and allen key I could get it to freely move without slack.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »
OK I finished modifying my manual Z axis focusing hardware. It works fine. Very easy to focus and the belt mounts on the top so access to it is really easy.

I ended up making three modifications:

1. I drilled slightly larger holes in the bottom wheel mounts. Two holes each on the two main acrylic mounts. I used a #14 drill size and it worked perfectly. The wheels are now not pinched vertically and the X axis now moves left and right like it was moving on grease!

2. The second modification I made is a little harder to understand what I did, but here it is. The large vertical screw that the focusing knob is attached to, is pushed through what I'm calling the brace plate. This is a small piece of acrylic about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. The top of the two main mounting plates have a slot cut out such that this brace plate fits into the top of each main mount. It secures the focusing plate that the laser head is mounted to. This brace plate used small C washers that pressure fit around the focusing threads and allowed the bottom of the screw to be semi-secured to the brace plate. I know this a long winded description and hard to follow, but there was too much play in the whole focusing mount. So I ended up using two M6 lock nuts and screwed them onto the focusing threads such that the brace plate has just enough room to allow the threads to be turned. The result of using lock nuts over the C pressure washers is that the whole focusing mount is now much more stable and secure.

3. The third mod was done by accident. I previously used hot glue to secure the brace plate to the two main mounts but this turned out to be a bad idea because I couldn't remove the laser mount if I needed to. So I took the whole assembly apart and pulled the brace plate out and removed as much of the hot glue as I could. Turned out when I pressed this brace plate back down and into the open slots, there was just enough hot glue left over that the brace pressed in nicely and fit perfectly! Just pure blind luck.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:47:39 PM by Administrator »

carolynsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 09:43:57 PM »
It looks to be a very tidy and effective design Ralph and no loss of area.

My only concerns are:
1. The thread pitch looks to be very coarse so isn't backlash an issue? It would have been nice if they had used fine pitch threaded rod giving the tidy 1mm movement per rotation.
2. Also, what is the free play in the sliding plate like; is it enough to cause issues when the the dives accelerate?

Mike
2.5W BangGood laser kit in use by my daughter for craft work.
3.5W BangGood with TTL board in use by me as a developemt tool only.
T2Laser and Benbox software.