Author Topic: Windows 7 or Windows 10  (Read 1542 times)

Dishdude01

• Riden the wind.
    • View Profile
Windows 7 or Windows 10
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
Hello

Hi, I'm new to all this and am searching for some recommendations.  A bit of background on me, I am not computer literate, I can get by but far from an expert.  I work with wood, and thats where a laser comes into play, the engraving. I just received my purchase off ebay of a 40cm X 50cm 500nw laser.  Assembled it without any instruction due in part to the lack of them as well as any other paper or thumb drives for the software that was suppose to come with the machine but the seller obviously forgot or neglected to put in the box.  Next I started to read about BenBox and read more.  Then found this site and have been reading allot on the posts about the T2laser software and I'm thinking that this is the way I would like to proceed.  By the way, Koodo's to all, this site is amazing. 

I have noticed that some of the folks run Window 7 and some run Windows 10. Are there any advantages to either 7 or 10?  You see, I have acquired my son's Acer Aspire One Net Book that he no longer uses.  My plan is to have a dedicated computer for my laser so I am going to clean and re-flash it, however I'm not sure what to purchase, Windows 7 or Window 10. I should also point out that I may also like to be able to use this Net Book to control my possible future purchase of a CNC Router. That's the plan anyway, someone else in this house may have a different opinion.   ;D LOL 

Thanks to all who respond.
Al

wild.bill

• Hey Laser Lips, Your mother was a snowblower
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 or Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »
Everyone has different idea's but I would use what ever operating system is already on the net book. Why buy something if you already have something that works.

I am using and OLD Acer notebook that has Windows 7 on it to run a router CNC and sometimes use it when setting up a machine that I am using T2 on (don't have licensed copy on that computer). I also have the CNC software on the Windows 10 tablet.

When actually using the laser machine I use a Windows 10 tablet and that works fine. Then in my studio I have Windows 7 because I have a pile of graphic software that will not run on anything after Windows 7. I do have a licensed copy of T2 on this machine where I do most of the design work.

So I can say it does not really matter if you use Windows 7 or 10 to drive the laser because both work fine, so use what you have available.

Bill

Laser: was an A3 2.0w TTL L6/GRBL Z axis now 2'x3'
          OpenBuilds ACRO 510 w/ 2.0W TTL laser Cohesion Mini/Smoothie Z axis Homing switches
          K40 Cohesion Mini 60W LightObject LPS
          80W CO2 Red-Black 500x700

cool is simply a subjective state of mind

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:39:35 AM »
It doesn't matter...either one will work fine...
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Dishdude01

• Riden the wind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
That's great.  I might as well upgrade to Windows 10.  Thanks for the input.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
I test T2Laser on Windows 7 and 10, both work equally well.

Dishdude01

• Riden the wind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »
That's great.  I might as well upgrade to Windows 10.  Thanks for the input.