Author Topic: How to connect 15w TTL laser to mainboard (Benbox board)  (Read 3543 times)

peleno

• View Profile
Re: How to connect 15w TTL laser to mainboard (Benbox board)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/612929

Ms. Judy zhu

Street Address:
No. 18-7 Lashan Industrial Park,Jinan City, China

City:
jinan city

Province/State:
Shandong

Country/Region:
China (Mainland)

Zip:

Niko10

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 03:46:53 PM »
Hi Guys, new here, have a similar problem. Got the 0.5Watt deal, similar board that is pictured in the first post of this thread (the red one). All powers up, did not connect the motors, connected the laser module, no joy.

That aside, I got a 15W laser module which has 3 pin plug, red board has a space for a three pin plug & 7.5v - 12v power. So I`d presume that the power supply that comes with the 15W module would go to the 7.5-12v space & the 3 wires would go to the other vacant space (if I can`t find a plug, hard wire). From other replies, I gather that bypassing the board with the +ve of the 15W power supply is recommended. But this looks a tad off.  Attached image not really clear but you can see.

OR Spend on the alternative 2 Axis board (blue board in attached images) but still the plug question on this.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »
1. A typical 3-wire connection has +12V, GND, & Signal where the signal is Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) to provide a varying levels of power.

2. In all probability you have a 3W laser. Perhaps it consumes 15W of raw power which would be 20% efficiency which is quite good for a diode laser. BTW - I have one!!!

3. If you route the power thru the controller you get the advantage of a single ON/OFF power switch. The controller power switch will NOT support the current required by a true 15W laser.

4. If you route separate power wires to the laser power module make sure you connect the GNDs to the controller.

5. My 3W diode consumes about 3A at 12V at full power. With the supplied 5A supply that leaves 2A for the electronics and motors. Assuming that a 5A Chinese spec unit can reliably supply 5A!!!

6. Why not get everything working with the 0.5W module and then worry about getting some deep burns.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Niko10

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »
Cheers ggallant571.

Ok, well I got it sorted, the 0.5W, had to pay a little more attention to the settings. The steppers were locking up, until changed the stepper settings. Seems you have to do this every time you open the Benbox software. Going to have to laminate & hang a settings cheatsheet near the unit.

Was just asking, homework, I got a 4W module on the way (ordered at the time of the unit that`s here). The 15W, you are right, one seller had them listed as 2.6W in description/specs & 15W as clickbait ... anyway, asked around, found one, 15W specs / 15W advert. So I guess I`ll find out. In any case guess I`ll have a spare or two, well I`ve got a few meters of GT2 belt coming as well, profile 20-40 x 2m x 2, looking at door sized burns/engraving to supplement the fractal / Lichtenburg outfit

Well I guess regardless it will more than likely take a few passes.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
I trashed the benbox software on day 1. There are trail versions of BCL or T2 that are far superior along with some opensource applications.  BTW - the optics on my fake "15W" are really quite good so I got a usable 3W module.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
The motion control is far superior with Grbl 1.1, and you get additional features (dynamic laser power, real time overrides, support for home switches and rotary axis).

Niko10

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
Cheers Guys,

Yeah depends on who you get it from perhaps, the 15W, they all look pretty much the same, tick a box any box ....  :D. But there were a couple with a dial on top that allegedly allowed some power control, another said 15W pulsed, but would be around 7W normally, AND yes the 2.3 advertised as 15W {personally I think it`s time wasting and a shameful culture growing on the "popular" sales sites).

I`ll be trying some of the other software, if you reckon Grbl 1.1 is the go, then need look/go no further. Probably be happy with how this runs for what it is.

Dare to dream, was out in thought, the CO2 laser tubes... saw cheapie 150Watters going for around $500, then I looked for unobtainium, on ebay atleast ... needed a beam splitter / prism, into 5 beams, brought down into 5 polished tubes, some cooling, a collaminator etc., = 5x 150w or more, given the pump .... ah another time perhaps...  Alignment is a big thing, it could probably work with a diode also. but bulky.

Thanks again guys.