Author Topic: Creating DXF files - leakage  (Read 1003 times)

richyherts

• View Profile
Creating DXF files - leakage
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
Hi

First of all, this is excellent software and well worth the money!  There's no scorching of the wood as it engraves leaving black smudging and the speed, wow! I can actually engrave and go to bed/leave the house without worrying if it will finish or catch fire as it engraves so fast and accurately!

I'm trying to create a DXF file and no matter what settings in Inkscape I do, there's always diagonal lines when importing in to T2.  Can you please advise what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Richard

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
Re: Creating DXF files - leakage
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but I loaded the SVG in Inkscape and saved to DXF and it was OK (attached).

So, it's most likely a setting in the export. Check the documentation and see what you have wrong.

Depending what version of Inkscape you have the steps are slightly different to ensure correct sizing.

richyherts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »
Perfect! :)

Thank you, I really appreciate it.  I'll have a read of the files over the next few days and try again.

Thanks

Richard

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »
hmmm I dont know how it went wrong for you.  Here is your file as a dxf saved from inkscape.  It worked fine for me.  I also made you a png of your logo.  The easiset way to get a dxf style result is to use autotrace in t2.  Its much faster than monkeying around in inkscape.  I'll do a video showing how I made this for you later this after noon.  Hope this helps.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
If you trace it in T2Laser you can also automatically add the hatch, which could be done in Inkscape but I like to think my way is better  ;D

richyherts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:10:24 PM »
Thank you both!

I'm having trouble with the trace feature and a pdf / video on the subject would be fantastic if possible please! 

Could you also suggest a program /guide on how to change sections to different colors to give different variation of engraving?  I have the Mana SE board and I don't really want to add extra wires/resistors to be able to engrave in grey.

Thanks

Richard

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 11:57:47 PM »
Here is the video.  Sorry for the water mark.  I'm trying out some new video software and I'm not ready to commit to the cost.

https://youtu.be/7-sLv0Ww9BE
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

richyherts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 12:00:50 AM »
Hi

Thank you for doing the video! :)

The video says it is unavailable?

Thanks

Rich

richyherts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 12:01:57 AM »
Works now :)

nottingham82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 12:10:57 AM »
sorry it was still processing and it looks like this one didnt have the watermark.  I made another one that did but the resolution is really low.  Still getting the hang of this software

richyherts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
So simple! I can see where I went wrong in Inkscape and also why I couldn't do it in T2. Videos are so much easier! :)

Fantastic help in this forum and thanks for your help! Great software!!

Now I just need to work out how to do greyscale... :)

Thanks

Rich