Author Topic: Added air assist  (Read 1721 times)

bob2299

• View Profile
Added air assist
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
I just added air assist using the design by Pawpaw95 available on Thingiverse.  Had a local 3D shop print it for me, added a Banggood fan, wired it to the electronics board and is now workinig.

My unit is a new machine and has a blue aluminum extrusion to fasten the laser to.  Unfortunately the 3D printed air assist did not fit laser and the the extrusion, so simply removed the extrusion and refastened the laser with air assist to the plastic part minus the blue extrusion.

Qusestion: The assist runs when the laser unit is on, so would seem that I have air assist for everthing I do.  Any reason not to have air assist active all the time?

First 2 small jobs were using T2 and importing a line drawing and burning on a thin veneer.  Less smoke, less apparent loose carbon/ash on the job, so looks like it does the job I expected it to do.

Bob
-EleksMaker A3 2.5 W Laser with Mana SE board & air assist
-Inkscape, Qcad, BCL, &  T2
-Ender 3 3D printer
-I live in London, Ontario, Canada and my interests are inlay/marquetry & 3D printing

yankers

• View Profile
Re: Added air assist
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
The only times I can think of when it wouldn't be ideal is if your cutting shapes out of paper, just so the paper doesn't get blown away. Other than that, it should be good

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
I have the same air assist unit and mine is always on when I'm doing a laser job.
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv1qee2vb65785t/SetupBenCutLaser3.2a.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

laser_cutter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
how does one wire a fan to the mana board? Can I connect directly to the motor pins on the board

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
You should be able to just put it on the motor pins. It may turn on and off with the laser though. Worst case, just connect it to another wall-wart with a switch.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
Yes, you could use the motor connector if running the laser at 100% (255 on my firmware) but it will switch on/off with the laser.

If you are running the laser at lower power then the fan may not start.

Finiousfingers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:37:06 AM »
Picts or it didnt happen
lol
Got a link to this design and rough costs?

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »
Picts or it didnt happen
lol
Got a link to this design and rough costs?

Here is pawpaw's design
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1688209

It looks good and prints great. If you have a machine with the blue mounting bracket for the laser, you will need to make some modifications with a dremel to make it fit.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

mrehmus

• Pilot, submariner, model engineer, etc., etc.
    • View Profile
    • Model Engine Builder
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
You should be able to just put it on the motor pins. It may turn on and off with the laser though. Worst case, just connect it to another wall-wart with a switch.

Or get yourself a solid-state AC switch and use the motor volts to turn AC off and on to the wall-wart.
mrehmus
editor, Model Engine Builder magazine
Elekslaser A3 2.5 watt via Banggood
BCL
Qidi X-one 3D printer
Machine Shop with manual and CNC machines

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »
Hi there,

I'm also looking at adding this air assist part, could someone instruct (with pic) where I would solder the 12v fan, I don't mind it being constantly on ( I will add an On/off switch to one of the wires on the fan). Just wondering where there is a constant 12v supply, either on the Mana SE board or on the laser control unit board?

Thanks heaps 

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
Connect it to the "Motor" pins. It will turn on and off with the laser.
If you want it constantly on, I suggest you use a separate power supply. That would be a lot easier than trying to mess with the ManaSE

Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:38:40 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply, will it turn on/off regardless of the power level of the laser when attached to the motor pins ?

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »
No. It will see a proportional voltage from 0 to 12VDC, so it may not turn on at lower power. It's obviously not a proportional voltage, it's always 12VDC but pulsed at ~1kHz.