Author Topic: Slate Baby!!!!!  (Read 5748 times)

Elephantman

• If it doesn't fit - you're not using enough force.
    • View Profile
Re: Slate Baby!!!!!
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2017, 06:04:03 AM »
This forum is becoming expensive.

All the ideas.

I went into spotlight today, and slate coasters were half price, $10 down to $5 for a set of 4.
So after speed reading some of these posts, i launched into my first try with slate, and it's looking good.
2.5w Eleksmana A3 running 700 speed, 100 rapid, and I've just realised i didn't change focus from cutting card, so focus is out. I guess next coaster should have a crisper image.

I notice the talk about polyurethane coating accenting the white, etc.
If i choose not to coat, will the slate deteriorate at all? Dirt or drinks in the white discolouring, etc....

As hobbies goes, i guess this is cheaper than my vintage motorcycle and car hobbies.
1949 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe motorcycle, and 1962 Chrysler Valiant.

:)
John

John
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:07:48 AM by Elephantman »
Laser: 2500mw A3 Banggood with eleksmana se
Software: T2
3D printer Tevo Tarantula
CNC Mill Bangood, - assembled, not yet used.

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2017, 06:35:26 AM »
Very Nice! It will only be expensive until you start selling them  ;)

Without some sort of clear coat, the slate will be susceptible to being scratched. I have one coaster that I have been using for a while now and have yet to put some protection on. I will post a picture when I get back home. I have not been rough with it and have made sure that I do not drag a can or bottle across it, but there are some small stains that should be easy to remove.

Poly just makes it more durable and pops the color a lot better.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »
I do slate, wood, and mirror etchings and getting a crisp image is in slate is usually not possible. I tend to think of slate burning as a series of small explosions where the rock just fractures. Giving the slate a good scrub with a stiff brush can help if there is any scale present.
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

ggallant571

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »
Went to Michaels this afternoon. After multiple store visits when I bought up the entire stock (usually 6 4-packs) the computer finally noticed and they now have a large stock on the shelf. Bought their entire stock of small mirrors.

Went over to AC Moore to get some of the better mirrors. Someone bought the entire stock yesterday!!
SARCASM - Just one more service we offer here.

Elephantman

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2017, 05:23:04 PM »
Well a coat of polyurethane made a HUGE difference in looks.

The recipient of my "$10" secret santa gift was stoked.

I forgot to take a photo of the finished product. :(

But I'm hooked, I went back into Spotlight here in Darwin and no more in stock. It was on special $9.99 down to $4.99 for a set of 4 coasters with rubber feet.

But I've gone on line and ordered 10 sets at that price plus $8.99 postage. I don't know of any other suppliers here in Australia, but that seems cheap enough.

John

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
Once you start, it is hard to stop on slate. It is an easy medium to work with and people tend to like it.

Your $10 gift was probably more like $15-20 if you put a value of your time on the design and burning. So, don't shortchange yourself on thinking you gave a "cheap" gift. Custom is always better received than something stupid like a gift card to a general store.
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Elephantman

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2017, 06:01:41 AM »
Oh I knew i was contributing MUCH more than $10, but it was also an experiment that was very successful. As I had used the Hash House Harrier logo, I did not have a very large market, but was happy because I knew he reaction i would get when the recipient viewed it, and it wasn't a bottle opener, or a bottle of wine.

I was concerned i had over done it, but decided "why not", it was a one off.
I had also included a chopping board also with a hash logo.

For me it was an experiment, that when i finished i thought bloody he**, this is closer to $100 in value, but I just determined it was a very successful test, and it also lets people know what I'm capable of, in case they want to request something for purchase.

I'm getting a lot of value form peoples reactions and one day I might  even get some dollar value, but it was bought as a hobby not an income.