Author Topic: A side by side comparision  (Read 279 times)

SteveK

• View Profile
A side by side comparision
« on: April 16, 2017, 05:42:29 AM »
 I'm still contemplating upgrading to a TTL unit for my A3 machine. It's my nature to pretty much wear something out before I make a purchase as I like to be as informed as possible when I decide to buy. I'm still not entirely clear on just what advantages upgrading will give me. Has anyone done a picture or graphic using a "regular" laser and then the same picture using a TTL unit?.

Steve

nottingham82

• View Profile
Re: A side by side comparision
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
Im sitting beside you in that boat! So my non-ttl laser can give me  like black white and 1 or 2 shades of grey.  It marks on the range from like 230-255.  Now that is if I'm lucky. TTl does a better job of controlling the laser power. So given my exact laser with a ttl driver instead I would expect to see maybe 3-4 shades of grey plus my black and white.  Now I havent actually replaced mine to verify all that but in theory that would be the expected benefits. I usually just burn a full power and vary my speed which is also why I havent upgraded yet.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleks maker
Software: T2
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_290386.html Paid $160 in 2016

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A side by side comparision
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
As an FYI, I am still using a standard non-TLL 1.6 watt laser unit on my machine.

Paul and I are developing the Imaging engraving feature of BCL using this setup. We're trying to optimize this base line for users who don't have a TTL unit.

Thus far, personally, I have not seen a need to upgrade to a TTL unit. I wasn't sure how the quality of engraving would turn out with BCL using a non-TTL laser. But I have to say, for a low power laser machine, I don't think one could ask for better quality than what Paul's design has achieved with B&W. We are still tweaking Gray Scale! GS is a tough feature to get right!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:05:22 AM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.6k.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com