Author Topic: starting position  (Read 887 times)

helterskelter

• View Profile
starting position
« on: May 17, 2016, 04:06:53 AM »
Good day people, I am very new to the laser engraver so please bear with me. I assembled it straight out of the box, i have made no mods at all (wouldn't know how to anyway). I am using Grbl 0.8. Initially i couldn't get the program to do anything but now it's ok (for some reason) Anyway my question, when i load an example file to try it out, the picture is displayed on screen, with a green arrow going from bottom left, which i presume is the 0,0 (home) position, to the top left of the image (where it will start?) however everything seems to be flipped. If the laser starts at bottom left, it tries to move left, so to compensate i move the laser to bottom right. then hit begin, the progress shows it working (on the visualisation) from top left, however it is actually burning/engraving the image from top right, working right to left, so the image is mirrored. I'm not sure if i've explained it well enough, but hopefully someone will be able to help.
In summary, it appears that start/home position is bottom right, even though on the screen it is bottom left. Everything seems to be mirrored.
One point that may be relevant. Using the arrows to position the laser, left would send it right and vise versa, so i checked the box to reverse them. would this then cause the problem i am having?
Thank you in advance (sorry it was so long)

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: starting position
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 04:12:30 AM »
Welcome to the confused club.................................
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

Nigelnowhere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:53:12 AM »
I believe T2 laser has settings to compensate for this.

Also it has a setting to start I. The middle of your piece. I always use that and just set the laser where I think the middle is. Not perfect but much easier
2500mw Eleks Maker A3 and A5 running GRBL 0.9 and using T2 laser. I have two lasers and I am not afraid to make them work for me.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:50:13 AM »
First let me clarify what nigelnowhere mentioned. The reverse axis features in T2Laser won't work as they are designed for Grbl 0.9 and you are using Grbl 0.8 so the parameters are different.

You mentioned inverting the axis, which I guess means using the check boxes in Grbl Controller. I would un-check those and change the Grbl parameters to match your machine. In Grbl 0.8 that's the $6 setting, but without knowing what you have set currently I can't tell you what it needs to be but let's assume it's currently 0 then you would change bit 5 to reverse the X-axis which gives you 32 (0100000), so you send $6=32 to your machine (don't do this until you do $$ and check the value of $6).

So what do you want to do with the machine; engrave, cut, both?

How are you generating the G-Code?

helterskelter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
First let me clarify what nigelnowhere mentioned. The reverse axis features in T2Laser won't work as they are designed for Grbl 0.9 and you are using Grbl 0.8 so the parameters are different.

You mentioned inverting the axis, which I guess means using the check boxes in Grbl Controller. I would un-check those and change the Grbl parameters to match your machine. In Grbl 0.8 that's the $6 setting, but without knowing what you have set currently I can't tell you what it needs to be but let's assume it's currently 0 then you would change bit 5 to reverse the X-axis which gives you 32 (0100000), so you send $6=32 to your machine (don't do this until you do $$ and check the value of $6).

So what do you want to do with the machine; engrave, cut, both?

How are you generating the G-Code?
Hi Zax, thanks for the reply, in answer to your questions. 1) I'm actually on another PC at the moment, so can't check settings, I'll get back to that later on. 2) It is not a very powerful laser, 500mv from GearBest i didn't want to invest too heavily in case it wasn't for me, but initially i wanted to engrave wood, I have Benbox, which i have used to burn test images onto thick card, i've also cut shapes out of card whilst trying out the various options. 3) Basically i'm not generating G Code, i'm using the examples that came with the software. i really wouldn't know how or where to start with G Code.  I also have a program called 'mini larser' (sic) which i downloaded from somewhere. that has the ability to generate G Code from a picture, but the program only worked once, and i never did get it to generate any code successfully. Incidentally, Benbox works from top left, and the laser is fine with that. Sorry if i'm a bit vague, but i really know nothing about these lasers, and know even less about G Code.
Cheers