Author Topic: Cutting 3mm Ply in 1-2 Passes with 2.5w (Video linked)  (Read 2656 times)

gibsonk

• View Profile
Cutting 3mm Ply in 1-2 Passes with 2.5w (Video linked)
« on: May 08, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
So i recently purchased a A5 2.5w Eleksmaker from Bangood, some may recall i recently put a post up asking for help when experiencing random changes in power laser power.

I have been trying the laser again cutting 3mm Ply for my wife.

As i understand it should take 7-8 passes to cut cleanly through, however, i am almost through completely with one pass and with the second can pop out the cut with no issues, I am guessing my Laser is not running at 2.5w, I am quite confused it seems to be going against everything I have been told on here; other than one post i read elsewhere saying 1 pass for cutting.

Link to the video of my laser is here (below), it shows a 3mm piece of ply being cut with one pass, you can see the laser has passed through the ply and shining on the mesh beneath it, the second pass and the cut is done.

2.5w Eleksmaker
Nano SE
cutting speed 100 in T2

excuse the quality i had to compress it down from 4k to 5mb for a quick upload

[CLICK ON THE PICTURE

I also engraved a chopping board at 100% power and 1500 speed, it cut around 2-3mm into the board, made quite a nice deep engraving, seems pretty deep for a run at 1500.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting 3mm Ply in 1-2 Passes with 2.5w (Video linked)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
I guess it depends on what kind of plywood you have. I use Craft Plywood and when I was using my 2.5 watt laser it took me 6 passes to cut cleanly through it. You must be using some other kind of plywood material -- or -- you've got more than a 2.5 watt laser diode  :D
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgy21u9kz6or62l/SetupBenCutLaser3.1h.zip?dl=0
BCL Paid license: $49.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
Either way, sounds like you have a pretty nice setup. I wish mine cut through plywood.  :'(

What kind of plywood did you use?
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
@ThothLoki

I'm using a 1.6 watt laser and I can cut through 12x12 inch 3mm craft plywood from Amazon. A 2.0 watt laser should be able to do the same, with a few less passes.

What software are you using to cut?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:39:16 PM by Administrator »

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
I was using T2 with 35% reduction in speed when going across the grain. All with air assist.

When I cut a 10mm square at 8 passes @100 and it worked great, but I tried cutting Nottingham's coaster holder with 12 passes @100 and I still had just over 1mm left. Same piece of wood and everything

I did have it suspended off of the bed as well.

Honestly I am wondering if my laser is not as powerful as it claims
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:58:31 PM by ThothLoki »
Laser: A5 2000mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

gibsonk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
This is the detail about the ply wood I bought, dunno what's easy to cut and what's not

Thickness   3mm
Size 300mm x 210mm / A4
Product Origin European Birch Plywood
Grade B on topside and BB on the underside
Responsibly Sourced FSC Certified
Performance Class EN636-1
Glue Interior type

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »
I never tried to cut European Birch Plywood. That's the reason: all plywood is not the same!!

These are the woods I've cut with my 2.5 watt laser:

The following 3mm woods came from Ocooch.com:
5. ALDER - Can cut in 7 passes.
6. White Oak - Cannot cut.
7. POPLAR - Can cut in 6 passes.
8. Mahogany - Cannot cut.
9. CHERRY - Can cut in 8 passes.
10. WALNUT - Can cut in 6 passes.
11. ASH - Can cut in 6 passes.
12. RED CEDAR - Can cut in 2 passes.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
>When I cut a 10mm square at 8 passes @100 and it worked great.

That sounds about right.

>Nottingham's coaster holder.

Obviously that wood is different.

Remember: Each type of wood is different and it WILL require different parameters to cut through it. When you say "I cannot cut through Nottingham's coaster holder" that may very well be absolutely true and absolutely valid -- AND -- means there is NOTHING wrong with your laser machine!!!

The question is: what kind of wood is it? It's obviously not the same wood where you cut a 10mm square at 100% power in 8 passes.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your laser machine!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:12:30 PM by Administrator »

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »
Ralph. It is the same. It is 3mm birch ply from Michaels. I did a test cut with the 10mm square on the same piece that I tried to cut the coaster holder on. I will try again soon and see if the warmer weather makes a difference. I will take pictures.

EDIT

and I was able to cut basswood with the same settings. I am going to try a new piece of wood.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:32:53 PM by ThothLoki »

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »
OK we'll wait to see your test results.

Odd that you cannot now cut the same wood you could cut before! I wonder what has changed?

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
Ralph, I am at a loss on it.

I tried all of this a few weeks ago and haven't gone back because I have been busy filling orders for slate.

What is weird is I did the test cut (10mm box) and it worked great. Then I put the same piece back on the machine and did a coaster holder side posted here http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1254.0.html

There was about a 5 minute span between the two burns. Same wood, same distance.....
I even tried one with twice as many passes and reduced my speed to 80. Still no go.

Honestly, I can think of four reasons:
1. My laser is not in focus (but it did cut the 10mm square)
2. My laser defocuses quickly (leading back to #1)
3. I am losing power during the burn (currently using the 12v 5A power supply that came with the machine. Probably should try another)
4. The only other reason I can think of is the weather. Maybe (just maybe) with the 10mm square, the wood was heated up enough when the laser came back around that it just kept burning through. Maybe with a larger piece, the wood cooled down so much that it introduced a form of resistance. I know this is a long shot, but I live in Minnesota where we have seen 32*F to 80*F in the past 3 days. I never rule out weather....

I should probably be posting this on a separate thread. I didn't initially want to bring it up until I had more testing time, but well here it is

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 11:50:16 PM »
This problem has been aired on this forum time and time  yet people still don't research the forum for a particular problem .
There is a difference in plywood(s)   as  most will appreciate (and I bet that not all are the same in the same stack in the store)..plywood to stores is -plywood-.  Might look the same..but......

If you want to do the job with minimum problems then use  correct ( proper) LASERPLY.  It has different glues in it to that of ordinary CHEAPER "plywood" and they can stop cutting through.

If you want cheap -  then expect problems or more cutting time  Correct tools for the correct job.  Look up LASERPLY..it IS dearer than normal stuff.

.....READ THIS IT MIGHT HELP (I have no connection with the firm mentioned).

https://hobarts.com/sheet-materials/wood/laserply-information_124_15_147/

(Think No 10 post above not the same problem!)....:)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:25:22 AM by ROSS »
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
Hey Ross, I totally agree. Again, that is why I was hesitant about mentioning it without further playing around. I got frustrated so I just stopped for a while to cool down (no reason to get pissed off at a $100 engraver  ;))

I tried originally on some craft ply I got from a hardware store and that did not work well. I then searched the forum and found that they are not all glued equal. Nottingham has had good luck with the birch ply from Michael's, so I bought some of that. That is the ply I am referencing to with the issues with cutting.

I have some craft basswood that I was able to cut (with a few chads), but I have not found a piece that is the correct size for the coaster holder base, so back to the drawing (burning?) board.

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »
@Ross is there somewhere within the US we US peeps can order this? When I loaded an order into their shopping cart, the shipping to the US was twice the cost of the wood itself...yikes!

ROSS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
Hi Ralph.
I mentioned to you in the early days of the forum a place in the US where you can get Laserply..I think you said it was near you as well.  I cant remember who it was but..it was on Google I found it -  when looking up Laser Ply.

ANY  good quality timber merchant who knows his stuff should know what you want as opposed to these DIY places who employ non experts.
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT