Author Topic: Cutting 3mm Ply in 1-2 Passes with 2.5w (Video linked)  (Read 353 times)

ROSS

• View Profile
Re: Cutting 3mm Ply in 1-2 Passes with 2.5w (Video linked)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 12:08:32 AM »
I reckon that finding a Laser Ply supplier in the US is best done by ringing one of the firms in the US that advertise a Laser cutting service and asking them where they get their Ply and if it is REALLY LASER PLY....Save a lot of hassle!
Lasers are wonderful machines..not ONLY  can they cut a finger off BUT  they can also cauterise it at the same time.....

SAFETY -  IS NO ACCIDENT

MarcusJ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 06:14:51 AM »
I reckon that finding a Laser Ply supplier in the US is best done by ringing one of the firms in the US that advertise a Laser cutting service and asking them where they get their Ply and if it is REALLY LASER PLY....Save a lot of hassle!

The commercial laser cutting services are using CO2 lasers, and they will cut any ply just fine.  It's the waterproof glues used in many plywoods that prevent LED lasers from cutting them.

I had tried a fairly exhaustive search for laser ply in North America, and largely came up empty in the thicknesses (or more properly, thinness-es) I was looking for.  We can get 8mm craft ply here that I can cut easily with my 2.5W.  Finding thinner stuff, 1mm, 2mm, 1/16th, not so much.

MegaBlackJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:23 AM »
Hi,

My name is Tim. I have recently purchased 2,5w machine from Banggood. My primary aim - is to cut thin (1-2mm) plywood. I would be grateful if someone could tell how do you actually cut wood using T2 laser. Is it true that the only way to do cutting is to adjust feed rate? Because the default laser power is turned on at a maximum and thus the feedrate is used to control how deep a laser can go.

Thank you.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 06:03:29 AM »
Hi Tim, yes basically you are correct.

Cutting or engraving is based on the energy absorption of the material, so power density is what matters.

Laser power (output), focus (spot size) and feed rate all contribute to the result.

For cutting 2mm plywood you need a fair amount of energy, so focus to the smallest spot possible and use full power. Then adjust feed rate to cut without burning (<200) and use multiple passes for good results. Look for ply that uses a water based epoxy/resin, as it will cut easier and will burn less.