Author Topic: Wiring for Mana SE to ttl laser  (Read 5593 times)

nehal

• View Profile
Wiring for Mana SE to ttl laser
« on: May 11, 2017, 08:04:35 AM »
I upgraded to mana SE board and 2300mw ttl laser. Can anyone provide proper wiring instructions? I searched few threads but couldn't find proper answer. Please refer to pictures and suggest wiring instructions. I understand two connections for laser and two gor ttl.I don't want to mess up connections.

treinbert

• Laser cutting & 3D-printing
    • View Profile
    • Spoor 1 Hobby
Re: Wiring for Mana SE to ttl laser
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:59:34 AM »
Hi,

Wecome to the forum.

The PWM of the laser goes to S-pin of the laserinput on the Mana SE.
The ground of the laser goes to the minus-pin of the laserinput on the Mana SE.
The 12 V of the laser goes to the plus-pin of the laserinput on the Mana SE.
Hartelijke groeten/Best regards/Freundlichen Gruessen,
Bert Mengerink

Prusa I3 clone
Renkforce RF100,
M3D Printer
500mW, 2500mW and 3500mW laser
Benbox A3 to be used with above lasers
Chinese 100W CO2 laser
Various Raspberry PI's (2 & 3)
Windows 10
MAC OS

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »
Here is a wiring guide to what teinbert said
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
3D Printer: Monoprice Maker Select v2.1
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

nehal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
Thank you for the reply and also for the diagram to make it clear. Will make the changes and post results with t2.

nehal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
Do I need to connect both the gnd on the laser to the minus on mana se laser input?

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
They are almost certainly hard shorted together on the laser board, so no it should be fine.
hmm, that diagram is actually not that clear, or correct, one of the two ..

Note that the Mana SE output marked "servo" as drawn in the diagram, is only 5v on the centre pin, the 3 terminal connector marked "laser" is the one you will want to use (assuming your laser wants 12V and not 5v) and the pinout is NOT the same as the servo connector.

5th picture on this page has the diagram.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/USB-CNC-2-Axis-2-Phase-4-Wire-Stepper-Motor-Controller-Board-DIY-Laser-Engraver-Engraving/1703233_32553408272.html

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

nehal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
I have upgraded as per instructions. PWM works fine. Although one problem. The fan on laser stays on continuously at max speed. Any suggestions?

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
They are almost certainly hard shorted together on the laser board, so no it should be fine.
hmm, that diagram is actually not that clear, or correct, one of the two ..

Note that the Mana SE output marked "servo" as drawn in the diagram, is only 5v on the centre pin, the 3 terminal connector marked "laser" is the one you will want to use (assuming your laser wants 12V and not 5v) and the pinout is NOT the same as the servo connector.

5th picture on this page has the diagram.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/USB-CNC-2-Axis-2-Phase-4-Wire-Stepper-Motor-Controller-Board-DIY-Laser-Engraver-Engraving/1703233_32553408272.html

The diagram was using the laser port and I used the markings shown on the board.
Laser: A3 2500mw with L7 Board / A3 2500mw PWM with Mana SE -- All using T2Laser
Image Resizer Applications (All OS): http://benboxlaser.us/index.php/topic,1434.msg17297.html#msg17297

ThothLoki

• Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »
I have upgraded as per instructions. PWM works fine. Although one problem. The fan on laser stays on continuously at max speed. Any suggestions?

Thats because it is taking the 12V directly from the + and -

You COULD connected it to the "S" and it will go with the laser. Someone with a Mana want to confirm? I have a L7 board (no 3 pins for me)

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
The fan on laser stays on continuously at max speed. Any suggestions?

That's what I would recommend, so when the laser finishes a job it continues to run and cool it down.

nehal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »
So I will just keep it like that. I thought I made a mistake in connection. I dont mind the fan running. The laser works perfectly as it should and responds to pwm signal nicely. One more observation, the spot size is much bigger than the original 2500mw, but no distortions around the spot. I will try connecting to S.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
The diagram was using the laser port and I used the markings shown on the board.

my apologys, for some reason I thought you had + in the middle as on the servo connector and not on the end.

I was not sure of the board markings and looked at the diagram down the page on here https://www.banggood.com/2-Axis-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-Laser-board-For-DIY-Laser-Engraver-p-1015557.html instead of pulling my cover off.

Thats because it is taking the 12V directly from the + and -

You COULD connected it to the "S" and it will go with the laser. Someone with a Mana want to confirm? I have a L7 board (no 3 pins for me)

The fan draws 110mA I think and the S is just an unbuffered signal from the nano, so it will not drive it, what you could do though is connect the fan directly to the "Motor" connector as this will feed it 12V with a switched ground. This is switched with the same signal and buffered by a 10A mosfet.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)