Author Topic: Cohesion 3D mini for K40 (OPEN)  (Read 372 times)

treinbert

• Just into laser cutting & 3D-printing
    • View Profile
Re: Cohesion 3D mini for K40 (OPEN)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
Hi guys,

For long runs I prefer the LCD with running from a SD as I did have one job completely go wrong as Microsoft decided to reboot my machine during the night and it did not finish the job, which was already running for two days. I use it on my 3D-printer a lot. I am wanting to convert my lasermachines the same way. I will put on the same connectors on all machines so I can swap boards as well as laserheads/printheads. At the moment I have 6 different boards, 4 different lasers and two printheads for four machines. A CNC-convertion for a Proxon-machine is also in the making.

All in due time as I first have to build two modules for my model railway as in two weeks we have a big get-together.
Hartelijke groeten/Best regards/Freundlichen Gruessen,
Bert Mengerink

Prusa I3/Renkforce 100,
Benbox A3 with 2500mW/3500mW laser
Various Raspberry PI's (2 & 3)
Windows 10
MAC OSX

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »
For repeat jobs, standalone with the LCD would work. I do not have a lot of repeat jobs.

I thought this might be good for Ralph as he was selling the belt anchors and some other parts. Sounds like he has that covered.

But having the board handle the print, or laser, rather than streaming the code from a computer, might be helpful for some. I think that kind of functionality would be great on these lasers. Once the code has been tested and corrected there is no reason to have a computer tied to the laser or 3D printer. And some of the boards Ralph has set BCL up to work with can accept LCD's and have a storage card. Like the RAMPS boards.

These are the kind of advances that people here have been headed for; Flexibility, advanced features and better firmware.

I will be interested to see your progress!
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 11:13:15 AM »
Here is a link for Smoothie supported gcodes.

http://smoothieware.org/supported-g-codes

Thanks,

Phil
Just got my home switches installed!👍

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 12:38:26 PM »
The G-code is compatible with what T2Laser generates, the problem is the "sender". It's designed for Grbl so would need some modification or you could just save it to a SD card and run from that I suppose.

treinbert

• Just into laser cutting & 3D-printing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
Putting it on an SD-card and then run it. That is similar to what we are use to do with the 3D-printers.
Hartelijke groeten/Best regards/Freundlichen Gruessen,
Bert Mengerink

Prusa I3/Renkforce 100,
Benbox A3 with 2500mW/3500mW laser
Various Raspberry PI's (2 & 3)
Windows 10
MAC OSX

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
This board has a sdcard slot.  I'm pretty stupid about these things.  So do you think that any gcode that I generate in T2 would work if I send it to the sdcard?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »
This board has a sdcard slot.  I'm pretty stupid about these things.  So do you think that any gcode that I generate in T2 would work if I send it to the sdcard?

The SD Card is just a storage device. Just like your hard drive on your PC. It knows nothing about g-code. Connect your PC to your laser machine, generate some T2 g-code and send it using T2. If it works, it means you can store -g-code on the SD Card and it will also work (when sent to your laser machine).
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.4a.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »

If you load it on the SD Card then yes it should work, but you would have to test it as I don't have a board like that or any experience with the smoothie system.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
Gotta wait for payday.  Then I'll order the board and give it a try.   By the way,  does anyone need a Moshi board?  If this new board works, I'll get rid of the Moshi.

Zax

• T2Laser
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • T2Laser
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »
You could probably sell it on ebay for the same price as the replacement board, although I have no idea why anyone would want to use Moshi - it makes Benbox look good  :o .

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
You should be able to copy the gcode, as a *.nc file, to the card. example; "catengraving.nc". I cannot remember if T2 uses the *.nc format to save its gcode. It most likely does. But you can only save the code directly in T2 with the full version.

All you need to do is copy the gcode from the window. Copy it into a text editor. Save it with that name.nc

Then the board should recognize it and allow you to run it!

The first time you burn any file I would do it from your computer. Set all the settings, like speed, intensity and such right. Then save the gcode onto the SD card if you think you want to use it again. The problem with this, on a laser, is that you would have to use the same material that you created that file with. If you change materials you will have to go through the setup and testing again and create a new file with the new settings.

The standalone would be great for repeat jobs. It is not so great if you are changing materials, sizes and stuff all the time. If you are creating new stuff all the time then the computer is what you will have to use. If you are engraving wooden nickels then the standalone feature is really good!

There is also an old term called "sneaker net" that is where you run everything from computer to computer using you r sneakers! In this case you save the file on the Laser SD card from the computer than walk it over to the Laser to burn. A big pain when trying to work up a new project. Great for cardio!

Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw

Experimenting with Mega2560 board upgrade

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
Tried.....hated it  >:(

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
I'll be ordering the Cohesion board on Friday.  I'll keep you all posted when I get it installed.

Kunaphil

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
Just got the board today.  Fired it up and loaded the smoothie drivers.  I was able to connect with T2 and was actually able to jog the X and U.  Loaded a file and was able to run the laser.  The problem that I have is I see the laser is on almost the entire time.   At least this is encouraging.  Any ideas?

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 09:15:50 PM »
I'm in email contact with someone at Smoothie who is willing to mail me a "slightly damaged" smoothie board for me to play around with. I said OK but his email replies take 48 hours so this might take some time before I get his board and then I really won't know if something doesn't work if its the damage on the board or some other problem...but I'm willing to try and see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:29:11 PM by Administrator »
Admin -- Ralph -- support @ BenCutLaser dot us
http://www.BenCutLaser.us/BenCutLaserSetup1.8.4a.exe.zip
BCL Paid license: $39.95
via Paypal to bclpp@primemail.com