Author Topic: Red glasses  (Read 827 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Red glasses
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
I have a pair of these arrived this morning and just got to try them out a little. If link dies .. they are red goggles with identical manufacturing to our green goggles.

https://www.banggood.com/PC-Material-Adjustable-Laser-Pointer-Eyes-Protective-Glasses-p-979723.html

I think they might be up in the OD4 range at our wavelength, the spot on low power mode is JUST visible, not a great deal brighter than using my arc welding googles.
Since I was looking at a reflection off of something I was not sure it was even the wavelength I was seeing or some other frequency, so I experimented further and pulsed the beam at different powers with the goggles between the laser and a piece of white paper.
At a power of 100, the dot is just visible on the paper, at low power mode nothing at all gets through so it was not the laser wavelength I was seeing reflected at all.
So that is one he** of a reduction.

I think these are safe to use..

edit: during the above tests I was wearing the green goggles, I have since redone the tests onto paper with the naked eye (carefully !)
A laser power of 40 does get a visible spot through the goggles, it also gets through the filter from my arc welding goggles though.

I honestly think these things are like OD6+ at 445nm.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:58:05 PM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

ameersh

• View Profile
Re: Red glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:22:36 AM »
I have 445nm 5.5w blue laser machine from gearbest

I bought these red glasses after I read that red glasses are made for blue laser.

Is that true? Just to confirm the info

Note: even with glasses a try to avoid direct sight to the laser just sneak peeks from time to time.

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:15 AM »
I have watched the beam directly with these while cutting with no ill effects, no scratchy eyes. I would not even glance at it with the green specs.
I also use these when using my plasma cutter, I think you will find they are OD5+ in the UV/blue .. ie, cut out 99.999% or more of the beam.
If you look at any full on laser safety glasses for 545nm you will find tge majority are red or orange.

A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

Lob0426

• Global Moderator
  • Let the Magic Blue Smoke out!
    • View Profile
    • Richards RasPi Web Server
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
I have the red and they definitely cut more light than the green. I have trouble seeing the beam. I more have to watch the burn. Th beam is near invisible.
Richard
A5 2.5W w/homing switches on L7
A5 2W diode self upgraded from stock 500mw
Printrbot Play. Ext bed, integrated tablet control.
Printrbot Simple Metal
USA

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »
I based my OD 'guess' by comparing the spot intensity at lower powers on a reflective material against what I could see with my arc welding mask on.
The welding mask is darker by only a bit and that is OD10 so I am pretty confident 0D5+ is a very cconservative rating.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880

kibodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:43:13 AM »
From the little I know I am under the impression that the green glasses block only about 40% of the.light where as the red ones block about 60%. From very basic test I think this to be true. For me the red ones are much more comfortable and I only use the green ones for protecting the webcam I sometimes use.
Laser: 2500mw A5 eleksmaker L5, K40 with Cohesion3D mini board, air assist, laser pointer etc..
Software: T2Laser, laserweb4, Repitier, Cura
Prusa i3 Clone GT2560
Anycubic Kossel Delta ramps

Stonemull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:57:16 PM »
Thats across the entire spectrum, which is totally irelevant.
The inportant oart is that the green ones block maybe 90% of the laser and the red block 99.99%+

ie green dangerous, red safe.
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Hacked Roland DXY-880