Author Topic: Z spindle motor review  (Read 871 times)

Stonemull

• View Profile
Z spindle motor review
« on: May 15, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
Spindle motor arrived this morning

https://www.banggood.com/DC-12V-24V-555-Motor-For-DIY-Electric-Hand-Drill-With-JT0-Chuck-p-1117553.html

for the price its great value imo, good quality motor though it is running bushes and not bearings, time will tell how it lasts. It will start rotating smoothly at under 1V, so decent quality brushes, though it says 12v I would suggest 24V, no load currents new is around 80mA. I tested to 30V with no indication it was going to explode.
The brass JT0 taper is not coming off, heating it did not much .. I used a press in the end, the rear of the spindle protrudes enough to put it on a flat surface without stressing any internals.
The untapped holes on the bracket line up precisely with the banggood Z axis, so just need some 3mm nuts and bolts.
My only real concern is the method of mounting the motor to the bracket is just the 2 tapped 3mm holes into the motor case steel, about 3 or 4 full threads in there, the motor is a tight fit in the bracket centre hole though so lateral forces will be in that larger hole and not the little bolts so much.
The supplied jacobs chuck comes with a chuck key and is quite good too, closed and without a bit the clamped hole appears perfectly central to the drill axis, opened up it is not perfect, with a 0.3mm pcb drill (3.125mm shank) I would estimate a 0.1mm runout at drill tip, I might try and take off a little metal with a diamond file if the chuck comes apart.
Due to this machine running belts and not lead screws, plus the chuck mount being a taper I will not be trying to mill much with it, it is likely the taper will work loose on anything but vertica force, drilling pcb's should work well though.

Total weight of what you see there .. 1028g

edit: oops, attached wrong image, Given up on my brushless version as the collet mounting is simply not perfect and the motor bearings with length of collet are giving me a 0.5mm runout at speed, left photo in for comparison as I have not posted any info on my bracket anywhere.
Will upload stl if anyone wants to mount a drone motor to a z axis.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:39:44 PM by Stonemull »
A3 Eleksmaker 2500mW
Solidoodle V2 Pro
Wanhao I3+ touch
Hacked Roland DXY-880
CNC3018 engraver
CNC Plasma (work in progress)

treinbert

• Just into laser cutting & 3D-printing
    • View Profile
    • Spoor 1 Hobby
Re: Z spindle motor review
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:26:51 AM »
The only strange thing I found is, that the bottom part is not connected to the top/back part. This would increase the stability enormously. I found it can wiggle a bit as well as shifting.
In three weeks I will try mine. Currently to occupied with other building things.
Hartelijke groeten/Best regards/Freundlichen Gruessen,
Bert Mengerink

Prusa I3 clone
Renkforce RF100,
500mW, 2500mW and 3500mW laser
Benbox A3 to be used with above lasers
Own build A0 with Z-axis with the same lasers
Proxon converted CNC cutter
Various Raspberry PI's (2 & 3)
Windows 10
MAC OSX

Niezam

• View Profile
Re: Z spindle motor review
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
Hi there, need to wait 2-4weeks to receive my z axis slider. Then I'll join the club  ;D